tracerpt.exe consumes ~7GB RAM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tracerpt.exe consumes ~7GB RAM

Every so often our SBS 2008 server (2x4 cores, 8GB RAM) grinds to a halt. I managed to start Process Explorer while it was running slowly and found that the trouble was caused by a process called tracerpt.exe which was consuming almost 6.5GB of RAM (working set; private bytes is over 7GB) thus swapping the server to death. Process Explorer tells me that its command line is "C:\Windows\system32\tracerpt.exe" *.etl *.blg -report "report.xml" -y -df "C:\PerfLogs\Admin\System Performance\\20110415-0384\RPTA7AF.tmp" and that it was invoked by C:\Windows\system32\rundll32.exe C:\Windows\system32\pla.dll,PlaHost "System Performance" "$(Arg0)" which itself was launched by taskeng.exe as the "Microsoft\CertificateServicesClient\SystemTas k" task.

Anyone know what this task is doing, why it's doing it, or why it's consuming so much memory?

Re: tracerpt.exe consumes ~7GB RAM

A quick google shows a few desktops having the issue because of PC Tools being installed.

Do you have any kind of reporting software installed? Maybe an antivirus or other spyware tool doing the same thing?

The path you put in actually seems to imply that maybe it is being called as part of the performance reporting. I know in 2003 you could reinstall monitoring and reporting - maybe that's something to look for in 2008 or at the very least disable it for a while to see if the issue goes away.

Comment

No, this is a pretty basic server setup - the only extra software it has on it is BES Express, some UPS software and a database.

Certificate Services Client appears to be a legitimate part of Windows, but its task actions aren't available so I don't know why it might be monitoring system performance.

Comment

I found this article that seems to be the SBS 2008 equivalent of reinstalling the monitoring tools:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...8WS.10%29.aspx

Hopefully it'll be of some help to you.

Comment

Working...
        X