Migrate to SBS 2011 from 2003 R2 x64?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrate to SBS 2011 from 2003 R2 x64?

Is migrating from Windows 2003 R2 x64 to SBS 2011 a supported path? The 2003 R2 x64 server is just an AD controller and file/print server.

Re: Migrate to SBS 2011 from 2003 R2 x64?

I think technically the only officially supported migration paths are SBS -> SBS whatever version.

Do you have exchange available? I'm not sure how the migration wizards would handle it not being there.

I've seen reference to people not able to get past the checks in the migration preparation tool if they have a source 2003 server not running Exchange 2003 as I believe there is an explicit check to see if Exchange 2003 SP2 is installed on the source server.

With regards to 64 bit, I wouldn't expect that to be a problem but I've never tried it myself..

Comment

Originally posted by beddo View Post
      I think technically the only officially supported migration paths are SBS -> SBS whatever version.
      All migration paths are supported.
      I would add a Server 2008 R2 as a DC. Then install the SBS2011 (Standard, I presume) on that. Or look for the official documents on Technet...
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

What about using the SBS 2011 migration pack Jeff has released. http://www.sbsmigration.com/
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Don't think he has that specific scenario done yet - you would have to interpret betweenthe lines. But since no initial Exchange is involved it simplifies the process.
          TIA

sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
            Don't think he has that specific scenario done yet - you would have to interpret betweenthe lines. But since no initial Exchange is involved it simplifies the process.
            I was curious so I did give his site a real good read since I new the 2011 Swing was out and it seemed that you could swing from 2003 to 2011 (or 32bit to 64bit), however I did find the site a bit hard to follow so I may have gotten confused with what I was reading. (Bad eyes you know and I am sticking with that weak excuse...weak eyes that is).
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Yes, they say it makes you go blind....
              TIA

sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X