Need advice on purchasing SBS 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on purchasing SBS 2003

Need advice on purchasing SBS 2003 for small network of 20 PCís and 10 Apple Computers. We have a DSL connection
    Internet  DSL Router  NETGEAR Switch  Client PCís this is our current setup.

Currently Running NT4 servers BDC-server (print) and PDC-server (data)
    We are planning to purchase Dell PowerEdge 1800 with SBS 2003 Premium Edition pre-installed

Few Questions: (please note: that Iím new to SBS2003 setup I mostly worked with apple computers)

What is the best way to transfer all the DATA from both of our NT Servers to the New Server?
    How many CALís do I need, there is user CALís and Device CAL ?
    Can we install 3rd party software on SBS 2003 such as PCMACLAN 9.0 which we currently using to connect between PCís and Macís.

Please advice
    Thank you in advance

Re: Need advice on purchasing SBS 2003

Originally posted by Ara1700
    Need advice on purchasing SBS 2003 for small network of 20 PCís and 10 Apple Computers. We have a DSL connection
    Internet  DSL Router  NETGEAR Switch  Client PCís this is our current setup.

Currently Running NT4 servers BDC-server (print) and PDC-server (data)
    We are planning to purchase Dell PowerEdge 1800 with SBS 2003 Premium Edition pre-installed

Few Questions: (please note: that Iím new to SBS2003 setup I mostly worked with apple computers)

What is the best way to transfer all the DATA from both of our NT Servers to the New Server?
    Can we install 3rd party software on SBS 2003 such as PCMACLAN 9.0 which we currently using to connect between PCís and Macís.

Please advice
    Thank you in advance
    Ara1700,

the best way to proceed with this is to follow Microsoft Best practices.

Check out this link and it will guide through your process.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=16415

HTH
    Last edited by gaaq; 2nd November 2005, 22:33.
    gaaq

Comment

1. You can use Robocopy to mirror the data.
      2. for CALS, 25 Should be good enough as 20 for your users, 1 for the admin account, and the other 4 is extra, You can use it for your service accounts or spare just in case.
      3.You can install 3rd party software on SBS2003. The SBS2003 is actually a version of Win2003 Standard. But remember, you can't use Trust Relationship in SBS.

Comment

Personally, I would flatten the preinstall if possible. The general opinion is it is just a disaster waiting to happen! It will have all of your Exchange databases and other apps on the C: partition. It will probably have a <domain>.local setup which will play havoc with your Macs if they are or will be OS X.
        You will also lose all of your desktop profiles as you move to a new domain with a pre-install.
        Check out www.sbsmigration.com as a way to upgrade your present domain to the new SBS2K3 one. It may cost you more up front to reinstall the SBS, but it could save you a lot of maintenance down the road is done correctly.
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
        X