X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing placement of the server - no more outbound mails

Hi,

SBS2003.

Today I brough my server from my office to my home office.

The network at the home office is configured exactly the same - both are 192.168.2.xxx. The same address was kept for the server, so even the internal IP address of the server did not need to be changed.

I set my external DNS servers with the new MX address, and in 5 minutes I was receiving mail.

However, later I noticed that nobody was receiving my mails. All the mails are STUCK IN THE SERVER QUEUE which keep going between ACTIVE and RETRY.

OWA is working, Activesync is working, just can't send mails.

I would guess it will be something with DNS, but I can't find where I am missing it.

Can someone help?

TIA,

Helio

Re: Changing placement of the server - no more outbound mails

Have you re-run the CEICW? I'd start there.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

If you mean the Repair Internet and Mail Wizard from the Server Management, yes, I did.

BTW, I have just opened CMD and tried to do NSLOOKUP for all mail servers I know. They were all found, so I don't believe it is DNS anymore.

Comment

As gforceindustries said, run the CEICW (Configure Email and Internet Connection Wizard). Chances are you are trying to relay your outbound email through a smarthost that you don't have permission to relay through on your home ISP. Also possible that your home ISP doesn't allow SMTP traffic, some don't.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

It is the same ISP I had at the office......

I will run the wizard once more and see if I can find something.

Comment

Originally posted by heliod View Post
            It is the same ISP I had at the office......

I will run the wizard once more and see if I can find something.
            Yes, but many ISPs lock down their smart hosts so that only permitted IPs can relay through it. You may also not have the same package at home, BT Broadband and BT Business Broadband are not the same for example.
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Agreed. Check any firewalls you have to confirm that they allow outgoing SMTP on port 25 and contact your ISP / read their FAQs.

I assume you've looked up the MX records for the domains you're trying to send to, rather than your own. See if you can ping any of those servers. Keep in mind that many servers are configured not to respond to pings, so even if they don't respond it doesn't necessarily indicate a problem.

Try telneting to them on port 25 (enter telnet <server> 25 at a cmd window) and see if the connection is accepted.
              Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

This is what I got after running the wizard:

Connection type: broadband connection using a local router device with an IP address
                Router connection information:
                Local IP address of the router: 192.168.2.1
                Preferred DNS server: 194.90.1.5
                Alternate DNS server: 212.143.212.143
                Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) device information:
                Device name: Internet Broadband Router (IGD Version 1.00)
                Network settings for your Small Business Server network will be configured on the UPnP device. For details, click the link at the bottom of the page. To secure your local network from the Internet, you must configure the firewall. For more information about configuring firewall settings for your Small Business Server network, see Help and Support.

Web services on your server's default Web site to be available through the firewall to users on the Internet:
                Outlook Web Access
                Remote Web Workplace
                Server performance and usage reports
                Outlook Mobile Access
                Outlook via the Internet
                Windows SharePoint Services intranet site
                Business Web site (wwwroot)

Do not change current Web server certificate
                Email: Enable Exchange for Internet e-mail with the following settings:
                E-mail delivery:
                Route e-mail to the Internet by using DNS.
                E-mail retrieval:
                Use Exchange to retrieve SMTP e-mail.
                Email retrieval method:
                Route e-mail from the Internet directly to Exchange.
                Registered Internet e-mail domain name: go-mob.com.
                E-mail attachments: Remove e-mail attachments from Internet e-mail as specified in the wizard.

For more detailed information about the configurations performed by this wizard, click the link at the bottom of this page to open Icwdetails.htm in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows Small Business Server\Networking\Icw.
                Note: each time the Configure E-mail and Internet Connection Wizard is run, a new .htm file is automatically generated to preserve the previous settings. For example, Icwdetails1.htm, Icwdetails2.htm, and so on.

SAME RESULT, mail is still stuck at the Queue.
                Last edited by heliod; 8th April 2011, 17:02.

Comment

A question:

If I tried to TELNET one of the SMTP Servers that was supposed to receive the mail with

TELNET servername 25

and was able to EHLO it, it means that the network is accepting SMTP traffic, doesn't it?

And yes, I did this trial to the servers I am trying to send to, not to my own.
                  Last edited by heliod; 8th April 2011, 17:20.

Comment

Yes. And based on your previous post, you're sending mail directly rather than using a smart host.

Keep in mind that all we've tested is that you can connect to port 25 - a firewall could still selectively block SMTP traffic. I would think it's very unlikely that your ISP would be doing that though.

Assuming you did the test from the server (should have specified that before), then we also know the remote mail servers aren't blocking connections from your IP address - again, unlikely that they would all be doing that though.
                    Gareth Howells

Comment

Yes, but the bottomline is that "the surgery was a success, but the patient is dead".

Meaning all my trials succeeded and proved that I have all open, but the mails are still stuck in the queue and don't get to the recipients.

Currently I am sending mails only to myself and using GMail for others, but I can't stay like this much longer.....

If anyone has any idea, I will be very glad to try it. I've been all the day on this and can't think of anything anymore....

Comment

Now I've noticed something interesting:

If I try to enter the Windows Firewall from control panel I get a message:

"Windows Firewall cannot run because another program or service is running that might use the network address translation component (IPnat.sys)."

Is this correct? I don't have any other firewall software. My server is inside NAT from the router. Actually I am not sure that I should have the Windows Firewall because I have only one network card, and the Firewall is part of the router, not of the server....

Comment

Is this SBS Standard or Premium? If Premium, do you have ISA installed?

Even if you don't have ISA, you probably have Routing and Remote Access which supercedes Windows Firewall.

Even when your LAN is protected by a firewall at the edge, it's still advisable to run some form of firewall on each computer inside the network to hinder the spread of malware etc
                          Gareth Howells

Comment

SBS 2003 Standard, no ISA.

Anyway, it seems that I have come to the reason for the problem.

I did some more checks with addresses which are not GMail and Yahoo and similar, and people received the mails.

It seems that what I have is a DNS Reverse Lookup problem in my ISP, and I need them to set a PTR to my new IP address that returns the same server name, otherwise these big providers won't accept the mails.

Thanks anyway.

Helio

Comment

Aha! Well done for figuring it out and thanks for letting us know what the problem was
                              Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                              X