Connecting win98 clients to 2003 domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting win98 clients to 2003 domain

I have read some topics about that matter but none of them answers my problem, I hope some can have some solution or idea to solve the problem.

I have two domains both in win2003 with active directory

Root domain - parent (no problem with 98 clients even without dsclient)
    Child domain - child (child.parent) no win98 client connecting to the network

I have install dsclient and apply change registry for LMCompatibility in the child domain but the problem remains.

If I configure on the network properties the domain to "child", I have the following error:
    "The domain password you supplied is not correct, or access to your logon server has been denied"

If I configure on the network properties the domain to "child.parent", I have the following warning:
    "No domain server was available to validate your password. You may not be able to gain access to some network resources"

in this last case I can see all the computors in the network but i can't access any of them of course since I'm not validated.

IF someone have any idea you will be wellcome, fill free if any further information is necessary to better identify the problem.

Re: Connecting win98 clients to 2003 domain

Originally posted by cromo333
    I have read some topics about that matter but none of them answers my problem, I hope some can have some solution or idea to solve the problem.

I have two domains both in win2003 with active directory

Root domain - parent (no problem with 98 clients even without dsclient)
    Child domain - child (child.parent) no win98 client connecting to the network

I have install dsclient and apply change registry for LMCompatibility in the child domain but the problem remains.

If I configure on the network properties the domain to "child", I have the following error:
    "The domain password you supplied is not correct, or access to your logon server has been denied"

If I configure on the network properties the domain to "child.parent", I have the following warning:
    "No domain server was available to validate your password. You may not be able to gain access to some network resources"

in this last case I can see all the computors in the network but i can't access any of them of course since I'm not validated.

IF someone have any idea you will be wellcome, fill free if any further information is necessary to better identify the problem.

First off do you have win98 or win98 SE i seem to recall that Win 98 try to comunicate to the network with cached account info SE it think did not....
    Also did you modify the Default Domain Policy, in the Child domain as well or just in the root domain. You set the policy for "Network Clients: Digitally Sign Communication Always" to disabled.

also this link may shed some light on the matter as well. http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;823659

HTH
    gaaq

Comment

dear cromo333

and I think i have the same problem with you !!!

I have One domain 2k3 and one PC win98

first time win98 can not logon to domain 2k3 .. so after i installed DS-client for win9x and IPX/SPX protocol for PCwin98 and PC domain 2k3 . Win 98 can logon to domain 2k3 ...but ony user "administrator" can logon ...normal user can not !!!

Error message " The domain password you supplied is not correct, or access to your logon server has been denied "

I've configured DHCP, DNS, WINS on PC domain 2k3 .
      I set the policy for "Network Clients: Digitally Sign Communication Always" to disabled.

i can see information off win98 in the list of WINS and PC 98 receive IP from DHCP ... but it can not logon !!

would you please to give me more information about this problem!!!

Comment

Hi,
        please do not post duplicate thread :

http://forums.petri.com/newreply.php...uote=1&p=21857

After installing DS Client have you map Domain Server for User Authentication from Client For Microsoft Network Service !?

HTH
        Regards

Comment

Try disbaling SMB signing completely as explained here:
          http://www.smallbizserver.net/Default.aspx?tabid=139
          Even though this article is about slow file copy, you may need to follow the instructions here to completely disable SMB - a previous post gave you one out of 4 parameters and it need to be done in two policies.
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

I have just encountered the same issue on my end. I have just replaced the Sys Admin and was reconciling the Defualt Domain Policy and the Default Domain Controller Policy. I noticed that Network Security was set to Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated. I have been here since October and our Win 98 SE client was not having issues. I am not sure if the 98 machine had DSClient installed or not. But I was informed today that the users on this machine could not print for a while. Well I am not sure since when since no one can remember. I have configured both policies to disable the digitally encrypt or sign secure channel. I have changed both policies to use LM and NTLM. I have one Native 2003 domain and my account is part of the Enterprise Admin account. I can login fine. But other users receive the following error:

I also copied my account and created a test account and the test account can login fine on the win98 machine. I added the old user's account to the enterprise domain admin group to test those rights and they still recieve the same error.

I installed DSClient for 98 and did the registry change for LMCompatiblity but no go still. I know that I am missing something any ideas? I have been following this posting and others on this issue.

Comment

Working...
            X