Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

console crashes fixings involve Terminal Server?!?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• console crashes fixings involve Terminal Server?!?!

After the 1001 updates for our SBS server this winter the console.exe reporting functionality stopped working one day, I'm just looking into it now to figure this out as it's a night feature to have this report emailed to me daily...

It seems the topic of Terminal Server keeps coming up again and again and in particular this TN post: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957712

Now what I get from this is that TS should not and cannot run on my SBS 2008 Standard installation...but yet there it is. Running and setup by the default install of SBS 2008. If I shut it off then I cannot use remote desktop to login to the server in question as I get a comment about the service not being available.

So it seems remote desktop is integrated with terminal services and thus required to work?!!? WTF!?!?

Someone explain to me if TS should be running on my SBS 2008 (standard) install and why...so I can figure out if this has anything to do with my console.exe crashing!

Re: console crashes fixings involve Terminal Server?!?!

2 distinct things here, although the names are confusingly similar.

The Terminal Services service is required for RDP and RWW and is always there and should be set to Automatic and started.

What that MS article refers to (although it is poorly worded) is the Terminal Server role (installed via Server Manager) which is not supported on SBS.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
      2 distinct things here, although the names are confusingly similar.

The Terminal Services service is required for RDP and RWW and is always there and should be set to Automatic and started.

What that MS article refers to (although it is poorly worded) is the Terminal Server role (installed via Server Manager) which is not supported on SBS.
      Thank you and understood.

Comment

since I have your attention...do you have any suggestion why TSG (gateway) is not surviving restarts of the SBS2008 server?

Again I see a few KB on this topic stating the NIC may not have ipv6 implemented, but it does.

Again this issues showed up one night after I applied MS updates to the server but was unsure if that was to blame. the TSG is (obviously) required for RDP and my only solution is to use VNC to access my server too!

How about that I hijacked my own thread!

Comment

Working...
        X