Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email Default Policy not applying

Hi folks,

We have a brand new clean build SBS2008, fully patched.

I've just started adding the new users to it and gone to configure the email addresses.

Normally an SBS server would automatically add two email addresses to a user account such as:

[email protected]
    [email protected]

The external domain is generated by the Windows SBS Email Address Policy and in this case that is working and being applied.

The .local domain is generated by the Default Policy and for some reason this is not applying

Google is not my friend on this one as searches come up with all sorts of other problems but I haven't found anything relevant to this yet...

Re: Email Default Policy not applying

Typical, yesterday I ran the email setup wizard about three times and had no luck.

Today, the wizard wouldn't run and wanted me to rerun the connect to Internet wizard first. I ran that and re-ran the email setup wizard and bingo its ok now.

Isn't it amazing how doing the same thing immediately after you ask for help works when it didn't before?

Comment

Isnt that just SBS??? Querky, finiky, a generally a pain in the a......

Comment

I've never had a problem with SBS being quirky, finicky or causing any form of pain. Just UTFW, and if necessary, UTFW again.

Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Yup, now its group policies that are playing up but only on a terminal server. Group Policy modelling says they should be applied, Group Policy results and they're completely missing!

Comment

Since that is a new problem, please post it to a new thread.
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Its alright, I wasn't posting it asking for more help just as a comment on SBS being quirky. The GP problem was solved quickly enough!

Comment

UTFW - its not flippin Harry Potter!

Comment

do you HAVE the "internal.local" domain ?
                  or is your itnernal doamin the same as your external?

is your exchange server authoritative for all the domains ?
                  Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Yes, there is both the internaldomain.local and the externaldomain.co.uk

Oddly it seems that the .local addresses are disappearing from the users after being created. I haven't had time to try and figure out why yet..

Comment

if you have "apply recipient policy" (or whatever the option is in Ex07/10) then it will update it automatically and remove that email

(Actually.. now that I'm thinkin about this, I bet sembee's going to come along and say "no, tehcamel, you're wrong, it will just update it and add the ones that should be there, not remove existing ones)
                      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I had similar issue... SBS 2011 - added a new authoritative domain and address policy applied and no changes were made to users. Then I changed the priority of the policy to "1" re-applied it and changes were made. Then I changed the default policy back to priority "1" applied and all is as I would have originally expected it to be ( i.e. users have additional email address for new domain).

Why would a policy not apply with priority 2 but work fine as priority 1 and then stay fine when returned to priority 2....

I hope that makes sense.

Any harm in just adding the new domain in the default policy? What are the advantages of using a new policy?

Comment

Working...
                        X