SBS 2008 Continuous Reboot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2008 Continuous Reboot

OK so I have a small office network with one SBS 2008 server. It was working great friday, saturday I believe some updates were installed and now it continuously reboots.

-safe mode
    -safe mode w/networking
    -normal
    -last known good config

all same results

I used the SBS 2008 media from Dell to boot into the recovery console. I tried the following:

startrep.exe
    bcdedit.exe
    fixmbr
    fixboot
    chkdsk /f
    sfc /scannow (Doesn't run "resource protection service could not perform the requested operation", tried in offline mode as well)

So those are the things I know to do to repair a SBS 2008 startup issue. The symptoms are as follows:

Dell Poweredge T310

System posts
    Windows SBS 2008 loading progress bar appears
    Black screen appears, white cursor pops up... about 5 seconds later the system reboots.

Please, any help would be HUGE considering there is no SBS backup for this server, just a data backup.

Any ideas? $20 starbucks gift card for anyone who can help lol (=

Thanks,
    Dustin

Re: SBS 2008 Continuous Reboot

Any idea what updates were installed?

Why on earth do you not have backups
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

not my choice, just inherited the server...doing what I can to save what I can.

If anyone has any ideas on a fix let me know, but please keep any hindsight comments constructive if possible. (: Those are the easy ones ppl.

Comment

Again... what were the updates that were installed? Difficult to offer a fix without knowing the cause.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

what is the error message on the screen.

is it

error C0000009a applying update operation XXXXXXX or YYYYY" ?

or 0xc0000034 ?

try this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975484
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I can't remember offhand, does SBS 2008 have the Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure in the boot menu? If it does and you haven't already, try that as you may get more of an error message instead of just getting stuck in a reboot loop.

As gforce said though, it depends on the updates. Were there any driver updates applied?

Comment

Can you get in for enough time to read te event logs? I assume the server has been fully installed as a DC etc and it is not the SBSCore service causing a reboot every hour?
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
              X