Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange on SBS2003 wont allow connections other than OWA

All,

Following a forced rebuild of my SBS2003 server, the exchange part of the server refuses to play. The symptoms are that email is coming in and going out correctly, but users can only access exchange via OWA. Mobile devices (Windows Mobile and
    Android) refuses to connect, and outlook clients refuse to connect.

I suspect (but I may be wrong) that this may be down to the fact that OWA refuses to use form based authentication – it insists on showing a pop-up login screen for authentication. When i try to connect a mobile device (tried both Android and WM), the users are marked as mobile users, there permissions allow mobile access.

It should allow form based authentication – Under Exchange > Servers > Protocols > HTTP> Exchange Virtual Server I have “enabled Forms Based Authentication” ticked, compression High set.

Under IIS settings, I have my server > Web Sites> Default Web Site > Directory security set with the certificate (which is picked up ok for OWA), and under Authentication and access Control, the settings are:

Enable anonymous access is ticked (with the user name and password as per the default), and both Integrated Windows Authentication and Basic Authentication ticked. The default domain is set to Dogsbodysystems.local as described below.
    As far as the Outlook connection goes – no user can validate their settings. Regardless of whether they go through the outlook setup of mail, or use the control panel MAIL snap in, when they go to validate, the message produced is “The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete”.

Does anybody have any idea what I can try, what is going on, or why outlook/mobile devices refuse to connect?!?

Technical Details:
    Server is running SBS2003 SP2, with exchange 2003 SP2 – exchange has been reinstalled just in case, and SP2 reapplied
    Server is running IIS and ISA 6.0, with external certification in place.
    Outlook clients are both 2003 and 2007
    My computer is named : DOGBODYSYSTEMS
    Exchange is named (via the exchange server management) : DOGSBODY
    Domain is named : Dogsbodysystems.local
    (note in the above, “dogsbody” replaces my company name)

Re: Exchange on SBS2003 wont allow connections other than OWA

The other message that I see, on some mobile devices is as follows:

"your microsoft exchange Server account does not have permission to synchronize with your current settings."

If I look under the "Users" snap in within the SBS2003 server management for one of the users, under Exchange Features, Outlook Mobile Access, User Initiaed Sync and Up to Date Notifications are all listed and enabled.

Comment

Have you allowed access for anything other than OWA using the CEICW? You should run the wizard and make sure you allow access to the appropriate services rather than using AD and Exchange as you would on a standard installation.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Yep, everything allowed in the connect to internet wizard. If I use an external source to connect to to https of my home site, it works - I get the company web site up.

Comment

Just another thought. Despite the fact that I created the users using the user Wizard on the SBS2003 server console, if I look under the
          Server managment > Advanced Management > Active directories Users and Computers > myserver.local > Users... it does not list any of the users that I have created.
          Should it? Why didnt it?

Comment

I'd try running an ISA trace from an affected client and seeing what get's blocked and by what rule.
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Further updates. I have found the problem (I think), but I cannot see why it happens.
              Basically, the Microsoft Exchange information Store is not running (it is set to automatic start).
              But, if I manually start it, it runs, and everything is good. But, the moment a mobile user tries to activesync I get three Event logs, followed by the MEIS stopping. The event logs are:
              1) VsJITDebugger - An unexpected win32 exception occurred in store.exe (7036). Event ID 4096
              2) EventID 1005 - Unexpected error <<0xc1050000 - Network problems are preventing connection to the Microsoft Exchange Server computer. An unexpected unknown error has occured. Microst Exchange Server Information Store Id no: 80040115-0514-000006bf>> occured

3) Unexpected Exchange mailbox Server error: Server (myserver.mydoimain.local) User : (a [email protected]) HTTP status code : [503]. Verify that the Exchange mailbox Server is working correctly - Event ID 3005

Help!

Comment

Originally posted by jaffab View Post
                Just another thought. Despite the fact that I created the users using the user Wizard on the SBS2003 server console, if I look under the
                Server managment > Advanced Management > Active directories Users and Computers > myserver.local > Users... it does not list any of the users that I have created.
                Should it? Why didnt it?
                No it shouldn't - Users is a container and GPOs do not apply to it.
                They are under myserver.local\ My Business\Users\SBSUsers
                TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                http://www.wintra.co.il/
                sigpic
                I’m honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We don’t stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Also look at this
                  TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                  http://www.wintra.co.il/
                  sigpic
                  I’m honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We don’t stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                  X