Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a secondary DC to an SBS 2008 environment

Hi Guys,

Ive read that you can add a second DC to an SBS environment as long as the FSMO roles are set on the SBS box. Is this only possible for SBS 2008 Premium - as we only have standard?

What I am trying to achieve is implement a second DC and setup DFS to replicate our data to the second server. In the event of hardware failure we would only lose our exchange server and the FSMO roles.

What are the repercussions of the FSMO server going offline in a temporary instance?

Thanks

Re: Adding a secondary DC to an SBS 2008 environment

You can install additional DCs.

As for the FSMO role holder being offline temporarily, this is a question that has been answered multiple times on this forum and there is a wealth of information available on the Internet.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I searched prior to making the post and nothing which seemed relevant came up. Hence why I posted, I wouldnt have posted for post sake - google is my friend!!

So is there any negative aspect to FSMO being down say the SBS box went pear shaped?

Chars

Comment

Article that tells you the impact of losing one or more FSMO role holders (first Google hit for "impact of losing fsmo") - http://www.convergenttechonline.com/...r%20domain.htm

Should answer your question for you.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
        X