Adding SBS2008 to a non-SBS domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding SBS2008 to a non-SBS domain

How would I go about adding an SBS 2008 server to an existing 2003 standard domain. I can't change the name of the existing server nor the domain. Is there any procedure to do it?

Re: Adding SBS2008 to a non-SBS domain

Google "Swing migration", that'll tell you what you need.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Well not really. First of all I pointed out that I need to keep the original 2003 server with it's current name. Also when you start SBS2008 installation you can't stop it as in case of SBS2003 where you can then wait to replicate and continue with the installation.
      yaro

Comment

You should be able to keep the original server at the completion of a migration. You can demote it to be a member server or continue to use it as a DC as long as the FSMO roles are transferred to the SBS server.

I've never left an existing DC in place after a migration but seeing that removing/demoting the temporary DC that's typically used in a migration is a completely optional task I don't see why this couldn't be done with the original DC.

www.sbsmigration.com is the best resource for performing migrations (in my opinion), a kit doesn't cost that much, and you can open a support case to find out the exact procedure for accomplishing your goal. The gentleman who owns and runs www.sbsmigration.com is a widely recognized authority regarding the SBS platform and migrating to/from that platform.

Comment

I would suggest the following, if Swing is not an option.
          Add a regular Server 2008 to the domain and promote it to a secondary DC. Then install the SBS 2008 on the second DC - it should then leave your initial server intact and take over the FSMO roles that SBS requires.
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Just to go a bit I had no idea that would work? Does SBS pick up any of the existing DCs scheme or is it all overwritten?

One point to note if this option is chosen, make sure you install Server 2008 64 bit and NOT the 32 bit version. This assumes that the secondary 2008 DC scheme is integrated into SBS 2008.

I wonder if this would work using a trial version of Server 2008? Once SBS 2008 is installed, Server 2008 ceases to be.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

It maintains the existing AD.
              You are correct of course that it MUST be a 64-bit version . Thanks, I left that out.
              Before you start you could always transfer the FSMO roles to the new server - I don't remember if there are important steps I missed, but upgrading an existing Server 2008 is a supported scenario - so CSS can help out if you get into difficulties (fee required).
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
              X