SBS Migration failed - but too late to go back

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS Migration failed - but too late to go back

Ok. I admit this was not a good idea but I thought I could work my way through it.

The scenario: tried to use ADMT on a migration from Server 2003 Standard to SBS 2008. Apples and Oranges, I get it now. But I read some things that indicated it should work. Ran prep tools and all, created answer file, etc. All ran fine until At the very last moment of the install it said it failed on a couple of items. It told me the only fix was to start from scratch again using the answer file as a starting point. Well, it looked like it was working so I proceeded on.

All services transferred fine, DNS, DHCP, users, computers, ADDS, were all working. It failed on creating the IIS portion of SBS which Server 2003 Standard doesn't have. Now management wants to use RWW, Companyweb, OWA, which they should but none of it works. IIS works, but NONE of the SBS goodies do. All of the Microsoft fix worm holes have led back to "Do a clean installation". Obviously I would like to avoid that but if it has to happen, so be it.

So in a last ditch effort to salvage this, I come here. The old server has already tombstoned so I can't go back that way; new users and computers have been added anyway. Is there anyway to salvage the box or do I start from scratch? Is it possible to do a new install then do an authoritative restore of ADDS or will that just ruin the new install? I am sure I already know the answer but like I said, this is a last ditch attempt to save a weekend rebuilding a botched SBS install.

Thanks in advance for your help. Try to keep the laughter to a minimum...

Re: SBS Migration failed - but too late to go back

Let me ask, why did you let the old server tombstone before you were sure everything was working correctly on SBS? The very last step in a migration to SBS is to demote the temporary DC.

Comment

Obviously a very bad idea. That ship has sailed and lesson learned.

Comment

I've never tried this but I'm thinking you could install a new DC\DNS\GC\DHCP server in the SBS domain, wait for and verify that AD\DNS replication has completed, shut down SBS, sieze the FSMO roles to the new DC\DNS\GC\DHCP server, perform a metadata cleanup and a DNS cleanup of anything regarding the SBS server, and start over using the new server as the source server.

The fact that W2K3 doesn't have IIS has no bearing on IIS in SBS so any problems with IIS on SBS isn't related to the W2K3 server.

Make sure that the very last step in the migration is the decommissioning of the W2K3 server.

You might look to www.sbsmigration.com for one of their migration kits for guidance.

Comment

Interesting thought and not one I had considered. I'll have to dig into that one some. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
          X