SBS 2008 WSUS 3 SP2 seems to have hung on install

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2008 WSUS 3 SP2 seems to have hung on install

A recent update trying to install on the server (kb972455) - when I try and install it seems to hang for an age on "please wait while the setup wizrd installs. This may take several minutes"

Ive left if for about 1 hour and it doesnt go anywhere...

Any ideas? Ta
    Last edited by 5habbaranks; 23rd March 2011, 17:41.

Re: SBS 2008 WSUS 3 SP2 seems to have hung on install

SP2 breaks WSUS 3 on SBS 2008. You're probably going to need this at some point:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...75(WS.10).aspx

Comment

Well it failed... Suprise suprise!!

Is there any guide as to how to install this update on the SBS box as we have more and more W7 clients I feel its inevitable.

Just out of interest how do you verify what version is currently installed, as it all seems to be integrated with the console screen so I cant tell what version it is running....??
      Thanks
      Last edited by 5habbaranks; 15th March 2011, 10:20.

Comment

Wouldnt mind bumping this one as I am none the wiser. I tried stopping the update service and still no joy.

Would I not be correct in thinking that as SBS 2008 SP2 is installed then surely WSUS SP2 would be installed with this? Im trying to determin which version of SPS is installed so I can clarify - surely its not trying to reinstall the SP?

Thanks

Comment

Don't bump please.

If anybody has something to contribute, they will do so.
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

SBS wont update WSUS SP2 - can I repair as per instructions?

If I want to repair the WSUS install as its working but I cant apply WSUS Sp2 can I just proceed by doing the recover method of WSUS covered in this article?

http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/arch...-sbs-2008.aspx

Is it just a question of making sure there is a new c:\WSUS folder and running the command prompt then following the destructions???

Thanks
            Last edited by 5habbaranks; 23rd March 2011, 17:48.

Comment

If you're lucky it will be that easy. I've gone through this issue twice and the first one was as easy as following the article you linked to. The second one required me to hack the registry and then follow the article.

Comment

Fineally got in to have a go at this and I stumbled on the first hurdle. My plan was to just rename the WSUS folder -old for the time being and then delete it after all was completed. Could I rename the folder - nope.

Am I correct in thinking its because its still attached to the sql db and so I need to disattach the db before proceeding with the repair?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X