Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SBS Connect wizard... use it or not to use it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS Connect wizard... use it or not to use it?

As in the topic. I can't really find what exactly that wizard does and probably all can be done manually anyway. Besides when you google for connect computer wizard what you get mostly is what problems people have with it. Does anyone know any particular reason why to use it?
    yaro

Re: SBS Connect wizard... use it or not to use it?

Use it. SBS is not "just" AD + Exchange + ...

Doing things manually can be a useful diagnostic step when the wizard doesn't work correctly (which indicates an underlying problem), but the wizard takes care of all of the tweaks to the products which you wouldn't do on the full blown versions.

Have a read - http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=12285
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Can you be more specific as to what it does? My concern is the 2003 version used to wipe the contents of a local profile without giving any warning if you chose to use it during the run of the wizard which was very bad. Imagine an account on a computer that was disjointed from a domain and then you try to reconnect it while running the wizard. All user data gone. Haven't tested that yet but hopefully the 2008 version won't do that.
      yaro

Comment

Originally posted by yaro137 View Post
        My concern is the 2003 version used to wipe the contents of a local profile without giving any warning if you chose to use it during the run of the wizard which was very bad.
        From memory, if you wanted to keep the existing profile, it would offer to transfer it for you. I certainly never had a problem with any lost data.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

It definitely does that. I tested it in a different environment and it just wiped everything from an ex-domain profile.
          yaro

Comment

That must be something you are doing, as I have never seen the wizard wipe anything.

You aren't confusing it with getting access blocked? When a machine goes from a workgroup to a domain, the old profiles can become inaccessible to domain users because the security has changed.

Simon.
            --
            Simon Butler
            Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
            More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
            Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
            In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Definitely not. When you log on as admin and set the folders up to display hidden and system files you can see everything. You can try that yourself if you have a spare machine to play with. Log on to it with some test domain account, disjoin and add some stuff to the profile to see it later disappear. Then join it back connecting the now local profile to the domain user profile and voilŗ. I tried that three times as I couldn't believe it the firs time.
              yaro

Comment

From the Help file on an SBS 2008 server: © 2008 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Changes that Windows SBS makes to client computers Windows Small Business Server 2008 Technical Library
                When you join a client computer to the network, Windows SBS 2008 makes a number of changes to the client computer. These changes allow for seamless interoperability between the client computer and the server. Changes made to the client computer include:
                Create a Windows SBS group on the Start menu, and add the Internal Web site link to the group.
                Create a shortcut to the internal Web site on the desktop of computers running the Windows XP operating system.
                Set the Home page link in Internet Explorer to point to the internal Web site.
                Create links in the Internet Explorer Favorites folder for the Internal Web site, Outlook Web Access, and Remote Web Workplace.
                Configure Windows Firewall ports to allow the following features to work:
                Core Networking
                Remote Assistance
                Remote Desktop
                Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI)
                Configure Automatic Update on the client computer to install updates automatically.
                Install the Windows Small Business Server 2008 ClientAgent application on the client computer.
                Install the Windows Small Business Server 2008 WMI Provider component.
                Install the Windows SBS 2008 Desktop Links gadget on client computers running the Windows Vista operating system.
                Note
                Windows SBS 2008 installs the Desktop Links gadget in the gallery, but does not configure it to appear automatically in Windows Sidebar.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                © 2008 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
                TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                http://www.wintra.co.il/
                sigpic
                Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

A help file... great. I should have read them first. Thanks for the info. Some useful features indeed if it was all that seamless as it's supposed to be. Never had a chance to check that problem with overwriting a user profile on 2k8 yet. The next time I built one I'll test it out and if positive post the results in a separate thread.
                  yaro

Comment

Working...
                  X