Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sbs2000 onto new server !

Hi all

This is my problem hopefully someone may help. My current SBS2000 server is failing due to disk error, i cannot replace the disk as it is the master with all the apps installed on it - stupid i know but i inherited it so not my design. I would like to build a new server raid config and so on but need help with transfering all the AD, Exchange and ISA stuff over. Is there an easy way so i can just maybe bcakup my old server and reload all the software on to my new server with all the same names and such then restore from my backups? It has 2 network cards one for wan and the other for lan

Any help would be great as i have not much experience with sbs2000. If anyone needs more info to help me please let me know.

Re: sbs2000 onto new server !

There no easy way to do this migration without skip important limitations (licenses etc.).
    It will be wise to Buy a license for Exchange 2003 + Windows 2003 R2 and migrate the users to the new server with 2003 .
    The recommanded server for this task:

Hardware:

HP 350 G4p
    Array 642 + 128 MB Cache
    At least 2*146 HD 10000 RPM
    4*512 MB RAM
    SCSI Duplex Kit
    At least LTO1 Internal tape

Software:

Trend Enterprise 7.0.
    Backupexec 10d SBS Edition

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;555073

Regards,

Yuval
    Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Thanks for you reply mate, i was though as much but was praying that wasn't the case! The new server has arrived and i am due to start the migration - what would be the best way forward as the boss wont buy any further software ans wants this new server up and running asap

This is process i am going to take please feel free to advise me on a better solution...cost free please as the boss is a tight A$$

1 NTbackup of the old server full
      2 Clean install onto new server basic win2k
      3 NTrestore from old to new.....reboot and pray

Please let me know where i am about to fall!

Comment

Be careful with restoring. If your old Server doesn't have the drivers for your new RAID controller installed then when you restore you'll get "inaccessible
        boot device" on the new server.

I think a better way to do this is create a new domain and migrate users/data/apps to this.

Follow this:
        http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...y/depysbs.mspx

This will give you a brand new domain, one which you have installed and so should be easier for you to support.

Comment

Or dare I mention www.sbsmigration.com aka Swing Migration! I use this method with all my migrations and I even have a ready Swing 2003 on my laptop in a Virtual PC ready to do it - it only needs to hold your AD temporarily. I use an External USB2 drive for Exchange databases and other iimportant data. Of course, if there is a tape device I make sure it has a full backup of the server also - you never know when you need it.
          But the real beauty of Swing is you can leave your current server running while you build your new server and only import your final data at the last moment. You can also try a "dummy run" to see how it goes. Or even scrap the whole thing and start again if something is really wrong or you want to change it.
          Finally you stay with the same profiles on the desktop of the workstations. Nothing worse than resetting the boss's computer into the new domain and his favourite family pucture is no longer the wallpaper on his desktop!
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Thanks guy's

I tried the restore option and no surprise it failed, did boot but had a host of errors Could you please take a look at my new suggestions and let me know if you feel it will work?

I have put a full clean install on the new server i intend to add the users manually, a pain i know but only 15!

Run exmerge and restore the mail to the new users accounts.
            Restore ISA rules from backup
            Go around and rejoin all clients to the new domain!.......unlucky for the bosses desktop picture loss he will have to live with it but his mail will hopefully work?

One question i have on this is will i have to make the new domain name different from the existing "old" domain name?

Once again thanks
            Mark.

Comment

No you can use the same domain name. However there is no underlying connection betweeen the old domain and the new domain (technically the SID's are different). Therefore you will have to remove all workstations from the old domain and rejoin them to the new domain - even though it is the same name. That is one of the main jobs swing migration avoids - but I guess it is too late now
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
              X