Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2008 Autodiscovery issues...

Hello all,
    This is my first post here.. and a bit of a nasty situation...

First and formost, I am obviously NOT an SBS guru. I do very well in standard Server OS's, but SBS throws me for a loop. So let's start with that... Now how I go to the mess I am in..

Thru some bad advice.. I installed FileMaker Pro onto our SBS 2008 box. That installed just fine under a custom site with port 16100 and 16200.. Or so I thought. Anyway, FMP completely borked all the other sites.. which up to this point were perfect. So off FMP goes.. to move to another box. But my internal sites are all broken...

So, thru a spot of more bad advice.. I was told to Remove IIS and Windows Protected Activation Service and reinstall them. Being the good little tech, this is just what I did. When I reloaded them, that did fix my OWA and RWW. However, now outlook 2010 on every computer on the domain.. keeps asking for the username and password.

I have used Testexchangeconnectivity.com and have narrowed it down to Autodiscovery being broken. But I am honestly not sure where to start.

When I run the Test Exchange Connectivity test for Autodiscory, I get
    Attempting the Autodiscover and Exchange ActiveSync test (if requested).
    Testing of Autodiscover for Exchange ActiveSync failed.

Test Steps

Attempting each method of contacting the Autodiscover service.
    The Autodiscover service couldn't be contacted successfully by any method.

Test Steps

Attempting to test potential Autodiscover URL hxxps://*****.***/AutoDiscover/AutoDiscover.xml
    Testing of this potential Autodiscover URL failed.

Test Steps

Attempting to resolve the host name *****.*** in DNS.
    The host name resolved successfully.

Additional Details
    IP addresses returned: ***.***.**.*
    Testing TCP port 443 on host *****.*** to ensure it's listening and open.
    The port was opened successfully.
    Testing the SSL certificate to make sure it's valid.
    The certificate passed all validation requirements.

Test Steps

Validating the certificate name.
    The certificate name was validated successfully.

Additional Details
    Host name ****.*** was found in the Certificate Subject Alternative Name entry.
    Certificate trust is being validated.
    The certificate is trusted and all certificates are present in the chain.

Additional Details
    The certificate chain has been validated up to a trusted root. Root = OU=Equifax Secure Certificate Authority, O=Equifax, C=US.
    Testing the certificate date to confirm the certificate is valid.
    Date validation passed. The certificate hasn't expired.

Additional Details
    The certificate is valid. NotBefore = 9/7/2010 12:09:53 AM, NotAfter = 9/10/2011 5:25:38 AM
    Checking the IIS configuration for client certificate authentication.
    Client certificate authentication wasn't detected.

Additional Details
    Accept/Require Client Certificates isn't configured.
    Attempting to send an Autodiscover POST request to potential Autodiscover URLs.
    Autodiscover settings weren't obtained when the Autodiscover POST request was sent.

Test Steps

Any thoughts? Prayers? Answers? Silly taunts for being dumb enough to believe I needed to remove/reinstall IIS on an SBS box...

Thanks,
    Randy the frustrated...

I should also add, that when connecting to OWA, the users do not seem to be prompted for their passwords, except for the initial time. So that side seems to work fine.
    Last edited by ViriiGuy; 7th March 2011, 21:24. Reason: More Information

Re: SBS 2008 Autodiscovery issues...

It should be the CIEW or something, Internet Connection Wizard.

SBS does everything by wizards, so runnig all the wizards should fix this up for you.

mainly though, what it looks like is your autodiscover dns entry doesn't exist
    Last edited by tehcamel; 7th March 2011, 21:59.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

We never had a DNS entry for autodiscovery and all was working fine, until the removal and reinstall of IIS.

Comment

Two seperate things here, assuming I'm reading this right.

Testexchangeconnectivity is testing EXTERNAL access to autodiscovery, meaning you need a public DNS record pointing to that address. Looks like you don't have one, or the SAN isn't on your certificate. Not a huge issue - autodiscover is for things like access to the OAB on the outside, so Outlook Anywhere clients for example will work OK without it.

Now, you mention domain clients having the Outlook issue. What patch level are you at? If you haven't already, install Exchange SP3. This basically amounts to a complete re-install of Exchange, and should also sort out any IIS issues and put everything back the way Exchange wants it to be.

I don't know about Outlook 2010 with SBS, haven't tried it, but Outlook 2007 did have the constant prompting bug with an Exchange Update Rollup, and it took 2-3 further rollups before it was fixed IIRC.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Ok, I am not worried about external Autodiscovery atm then...

I am at SP3, but I have not installed rollup 2 yet. I will install it and see if it helps any.

However, I should mention.. That outlook 2010 WOULD auto-discover and setup email accounts on the local network.. until all of this. That doe snot work now.
          It jsut comes up with a username/password box. No matter what you type in, the box just comes back and the account never finishes, leaving you to manually configure it.
          Last edited by ViriiGuy; 8th March 2011, 01:12.

Comment

SBS moves things around, in to another site than the default. That can cause significant problems. You might find that running the Fix My Network wizard in the SBS management console will clear a lot of the problems, I would also suggest installing and running the SBS BPA.

However you might find it is better to call Microsoft, pay their fee and get them to look at it. For the amount of work involved, it could well be the most cost effective solution.

Simon.
            --
            Simon Butler
            Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
            More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
            Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
            In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

I have tried the fix my network wizard. Beyond the couple of errors it has always gotten.. Stuff that was configured a different way from the beginning... it seems to find nothing.

I have been considering the MS route, but I so hate to give in!

Comment

How much is your time worth?
                While the "not wanting to give in" is a worthy attribute, one I too have, I am also a realist. Microsoft support will know exactly what needs to be done and will do it for you much quicker than you basically wasting lots of time trying to resolve it. It will also be quicker than bringing a consultant in.

Unfortunately SBS does rather complicate the deployment of Exchange, with significant changes to the way Exchange and IIS is configured from a standard Exchange deployment.

Simon.
                --
                Simon Butler
                Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Originally posted by ViriiGuy View Post
                  I have tried the fix my network wizard. Beyond the couple of errors it has always gotten.. Stuff that was configured a different way from the beginning... it seems to find nothing.

At some point, each one of us here has had to call in the cavalry. There's nothing wrong with saying "I don't know what's wrong with this" or "I don't know how to fix this". You've given it your best effort and done everything you know to do. It's time to put in a call to MS, get the problem resolved, and learn something from their expertise. You'll be a better sysadmin for it in the end. None of us are born with this knowledge and have acquired what we know by reading, trying, and in some cases, calling in the experts.

Comment

Originally posted by ViriiGuy View Post

Got a TechNet or MAPS subscription. You get 2 free support calls and 20% off subsequent ones. Considering what a suport call costs you could get a free TechNet subscription and STILL have a free support call left over. It's just a thought.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                    X