No announcement yet.

SBS 2008 Local domain Merge

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2008 Local domain Merge

Got a SBS 2008 Server that acts as the main AD in the system. System currently houses 5 other servers. They are merging with another entity and there server is a 2008 standard server that run AD also.

Is there away to keep the other entity's server local domain on the same network as the sbs 2008 server?

I always thought the sbs 2008 play dominate in the network and only sub domains would work.

Could I disable the DHCP and DNS on the Entity server and just assign it with a static IP so those coming in uses would be able to remote in to that system by ip?

Users only need to be able to remote in to this entity's server.

Thoughts? I know demoting the server is the option but they dont want that.

Re: SBS 2008 Local domain Merge

You can have additional DCs on an SBS domain, and have DNS and DHCP on them
    The only requirement is the SBS must have all the FSMOs

If the other server is on a different domain, you will have to demote it and join the SBS domain before re-promoting -- note there are no domain trusts.

IMHO do a careful review of the situation and user requirements and then make the best decision for all your users.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Unless Microsoft have changed something between SBS 2003 and 2008, you can't create subdomains. Even if you can, you can't take an existing AD domain and make it a subdomain of another.

I would strongly suggest you seek assistance from a consultant with SBS experience.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

No change in SBS concept from the beginning; single domain, no child/sub-domains, no domain trusts, SBS must hold all FSMO roles and is preferable as DHCP and DNS. Other domain controllers ARE allowed but they must belong to the same domain - not the OP's scenario. Rebuild or keep them on separate VLans, segments etc (which gives no real benefit!)

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.