Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help, Port 110 keeps closing unexpectedly on SBS 2003

Hi All,

My name is Limargana, I have been following this forum for years but i just join the membership.

I tried to install SBS2003 for my company and everything went great, all been setup exactly how i wanted. after few month we experiencing weird problem, the port 110 keep closing probably every few days and everyone in the office could not download any email. until now that port keep closing every day or sometimes twice a day.

Everytime the port closed, i am getting this error message: (im not sure if it related)
    On the reporting to my email, W3SVC service is Stop Pending.
    On the event viewer say, A process serving application pool 'ExchangeApplicationPool' exceeded time limits during shut down. The process id was '6140'. (event id: 1013)

Previously i tried to make the pop3connector downloading email every 1 minute, now i change it back to default 15 minute and yet still the same problem.

But if open the port, everything is fine after that until the next port closing event.

apart from that, the other port are well behave.

Anyone help me please, i already desperately could not find the sollutions.

Thank a million

Limargana

Re: Please help, Port 110 keeps closing unexpectedly on SBS 2003

What error(s) are reported in the Event Viewer?
    Do you have a Static IP or a Dynamic one?
    Is the business ISP the same as the one that has the crappy TV advert (Number 2)?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi Biggles77,

In the event viewer, i cant see any error message that is related with this. nothing mention the port is closed what so ever. the only related error message is one that saying
      A process serving application pool 'ExchangeApplicationPool' exceeded time limits during shut down. The process id was '5236'.
      and in the monitoring and reporting section also mention:
      W3SVC service is Stop Pending (which i assumed the same with the one on event viewer)
      and those messages appear after i re-open the port.

Also we using static IP on the company from number 2 biggest ISP in our country (which i thing the same with what you meant ) but i dont think this is ISP problem as i can reopen it from the server easily.

FYI The port is just closed about half an hour ago, it is easy to reopen it but just annoying because it happened almost twice a day.

Thank you for the reply.

Comment

Do you have the option to move to SMTP email delivery?
        POP3 is supposed to be a temporary measure pending a "business class" service
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Ossian,

I am newby in this side of the world. Can you be kind to explained to me what do you mean by moving smtp email delivery and pop3 supposed to be a temp measure pending a business class service?

Thanks

Comment

POP3 (the email collection service on port 110) is really for home users. Businesses use SMTP, a better service which delivers directly to your mail server rather than waiting for you to request it.

Exchange (the email component of SBS) is designed to work with SMTP if your ISP supports it.

I suggest you get a local consultant to come in and advise you more, and talk "techy" with your ISP
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Ossian,

Thanks for prompt reply. The problem is, some of the user is home user and they have to use pop3 (long story).

But the weirdest thing (which is my question) why pop3 (port110) is keep closing it self without any error message or warning?

Thank u so much

Comment

You are confusiong two things:
                Collecting email on your SBS (should use SMTP)
                Users getting email FROM SBS (may use POP3 although Outlook RPC/HTTPS would be better)

Regarding the port closing, review your event logs and the events related to this. From your original post the issue appears to be IIS (W3SVC) rather than just POP3

Have you patched your server fully?
                Have you re-run the CIEW Wizard?
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

I actually want to know how he does this. For the very few clients I have still using POP3, if I could get this to happen I might finally persuade them to move to Real Exchange on SMTP

TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                  http://www.wintra.co.il/
                  sigpic
                  Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Steven
                    I might finally persuade them to move to Real Exchange on SMTP
                    Don't you have a Desert Eagle for this sort of persusion negotiations? Click image for larger version

Name:	gun1.gif
Views:	2
Size:	2.9 KB
ID:	464781
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by knukless View Post
                      Hi Ossian,

Thanks for prompt reply. The problem is, some of the user is home user and they have to use pop3 (long story).

But the weirdest thing (which is my question) why pop3 (port110) is keep closing it self without any error message or warning?

Thank u so much
                      Personally I'd tell them to use either OWA or (preferred) RPC over HTTPS. With SBS 2003 each user gets an Outlook CAL, so you should be OK license wise. Then no need for crappy legacy protocols, an extra port open on the firewall, or trying to help users who aren't using the same software as the office-based users.

Drifting OT, but I finally managed to get a client off POP3 today. Seeing as SBS 2011 doesn't allow global mailbox with POP3 connector I had to move them to SMTP, or they would have had to buy individual mailboxes at the ISP.
                      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                      sigpic
                      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
                      X