Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2008 Users/Devices/CAL's

Hi all

I've read the tech specs for SBS 2008 which shows that it can only support a max of 75 users, is this correct? Or is it 75 cals?

What I am really asking is can I create 100 users on the server but I only have 40 pc's that are on the network, is there a way to distinguish between user and device cals? Or is this not possible at all?

Sorry if this is stupid question...

I am looking to install SBS in a school, but they have need for over 100 accounts with about 40 pc's, so I was hoping the 75 user limit is really 75 cals - i.e. users or devices, am i mistaken?

Cheers
    Shane

Re: SBS 2008 Users/Devices/CAL's

I think SBS in a school is not a good idea. You should be able to purchase full blown Microsoft products at a greatly reduced price for educational institutes.

To answer your question, you can purchase Device CALs instead of User CALs.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi, thanks for the answer, reason I was going for SBS was it had Exchange included because they need it and only have money for 1 server, is there another method I can use?
      I understood it wasn't a good idea to install Exchange on a DC - is this not correct?

Cheers
      Shane

Comment

Virtualisation?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Not a good idea/not recommended to install Exchange on a DC, but it can be done. I wouldn't though, as Ossian suggests Hyper-V is the way to go.

If you buy Server 2008 R2 Enterprise you are licensed for 4 VMs running on that server at no additional cost, so an Exchange Server, a DC and a File and Print server are the obvious choices with one spare for anything else. MS discounts for education are significant, so the main outlay will be the hardware.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Ok I appreciate your feedback on installing on a DC, but back to my original question - why is it not a good reason to install SBS for a school?

If I can purchase 40 device CAL's for the school to cover their requirements then why is SBS not workable?

Thanks...

Comment

It IS! There is no limit to the amount of users you can define in AD. But as others have pointed out, it may make economic sense to buy full products at Education rates, then you won't be bothered by CAL limits. OTOH, with SBS you get lots of wizards to manage the school users which may make management and its associated costs much simpler.....
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Lovely, thanks for the help folks...
                Shane

Comment

Working...
                X