Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2008 cant add clients ??

Hi

OK I had a sbs 2008 server running with about 5 or so clients attached, we had a power cut and it killed the server half way through a back up.

server would not boot properly, so it was decided to rebuild as data was backed up else where...

server rebuilt, fully patched, inc roll up 3, but all clients (win 7) get the message ...
    This computer does not meet the maximum operating system requirements for running client setup.

I thought there maybe traces of the old sbs server left on the clients, but it does it with a fresh built client...

I will say that SBS 2008 has been the most troublesome OS I have come across

Any suggestions, DNS/DHCP is all correct too

thanks

Cliff

Re: SBS 2008 cant add clients ??

I know "UTFW" is the way to go, but in this case, have you tried a manual join to the domain?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Do all clients have the necessary .NET frameworks installed (and I think .NET frameworks are FAR more bothersome than any SBS 2008 I've installed!)?
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

yes and yes to the above answers, and also I have the usual DNS problems with .co.uk addresses and a jobsite www.jobrapido.com.... all a bit strange

Comment

Originally posted by cliffb View Post
          and also I have the usual DNS problems ....
          Please explain!
          TIA

sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

Comment

Ok, DNS issues, seem to be common (search google), for a few days .co.uk addresses will work ebay for instance and then after a few days IE comes up with the diagnose connection page...which if you click the diagnose button, it does find it as a DNS problem.... restart DNS, flush the cache and it will work again for a few days, it has been reported IPv6 can cause this as well as the need to do some registry mods,,,,but if you disable/remove IPv6 the sever will not reboot. DNS forwards dont fix it or anything else... I have got round it by adding the default gateway as a secondary DNS server....but yes it is a very troublesome OS if you use it as a primary DNS and want to view .co.uk sites.

Ah, my previous issue of not being able to add the clients was also DNS, but only because I am getting the DHCP server to issue the secondary DNS server, take it out and it works fine....

Cliff

Comment

Editing the MaxCacheTTL registry key will resolve this, it's not an SBS but a Server 2008 DNS issue with certain TLDs.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968372
              BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
                Editing the MaxCacheTTL registry key will resolve this, it's not an SBS but a Server 2008 DNS issue with certain TLDs.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968372
                I wish it did fix it, but it doesnt, there are quite a few different reg 'hacks' to fix this but the one quoted has no effect

Still not to worry I have it working, to a fashion...

Cliff

Comment

I thought there was an update to fix this issue. Have you run all the latest updates on the server?
                  TIA

sigpic

Comment

yep fully patched and has reg entries modified and still fails, especially on www.jobrapido.com, restart dns and it will resolve again, then after a few days, it stops resolving....

Comment

You've got a problem somewhere else then, cos every single Server 2008 box I've ever seen or heard of has needed that fix to solve that issue. It's even in the SBS 2008 BPA if the reg key does not exist.

Speaking of the BPA, I'd run it and see what comes up. Lots of features in what server 2003 called the Scalable Networking Pack (E.g. Receive Side Scaling, Checksum Offloading etcO are turned on by default and the BPA will tell you to turn them off. I've seen these features cause odd networking issues.
                      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                      sigpic
                      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Ok I had this same problem on a new server install with sbs 2008 for a new office of ours. It turned out to be the rollup 3 update. Make sure that rollup 3 installed correctly. I installed the os and didn't wait for all the updates before trying to join the pc's to the domain. Once the rollup 3 update was installed, everything worked like a champ.

Comment

Hi Cliff,

I too am working through the 2008/Win7 Connect issue. Sometimes it is the small stuff that gets in the way. Very embarrassing for me, I hadn't switched off the "Enable DHCP Server" on our router... so I was spinning my wheels for a while and getting no where. I think that is usually step 2 or 3... when setting up a new router for our office configuration. I don't think this is your issue, but my only advice is to re-trace the small steps it took to set-up 2003.

I truly agree 2008 has been interesting. Seriously, what's up with the Extreme Internet Explorer Security. It's ridiculous battling 2008's security as if it is a virus itself. Seriously. I couldn't connect to my network. Much happier running my own security/virus software.

My current issue is finding a designated link via Windows/Microsoft so that I am sure that I am downloading the latest version of "Roll Up 3". If anyone has an official link, I would greatly appreciate it. I prefer doing it right the first time.

I'll let you know how it goes for me...

Best Wishes to All,
                          NCStand

Comment

Working...
                          X