Roles:
    Active Dirctory
    DNS
    File Server
    Network policys
    Terimnal Services
    WebServer (for exchange)
    Windows Service update

So here is my issue - Everytime that I boot this server it start up fine untill it reach the point of computer applying setting.... then it hang there for a long long time I gave it 20 min and nothing happen. BUT if I load the server with the network cable unplug it will boot fine and then when it get to the point of enter the user and password I plug it back and login fine no problem at all.
    everything strat after we had a few problem with the Windows service update database it lost the connection to the SQL DB and I follow the microsoft step to resolve the event ID I had I did so and right after the first reboot it strat to hang like that. ** after the server is logged in it will work fine **

Also here is a few events that the server has
    on the AD role - Event ID #2887 - (NTDS LDAP )
    on the network policy role - routing and remote access STOP and disable
    on the Windows Server update services - Event ID 10021 (The catalog was last synchronized successfully 1 or more days ago.)

I will appreacite any idea or help on how to solve this issue.

Thank you

Re: Windwos 2008 SBS Hang after reboot

When you have it up and running with the cable plugged in run in an elevated prompt :-

ipconfig /all > C:\ipconfig.txt

and post the ipconfig.txt file from the root of C: to here. It sounds to me like a DNS issue, but I can't be sure unless you post.
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Sorry it took a while but here is the ipconfig file
      Thank you
      Attached Files

Comment

Your problem is with the DNS settings. The server should point to itself ONLY for DNS.

Comment

Thanks I will try it
          Last edited by elinoy; 28th February 2011, 17:38.

Comment

Point it to 192.168.1.1. all of your DNS clients should also pint to 192.168.1.1 ONLY.

Comment

ok so I did point it and now it working but it take at least 15min before the Ctrl+alt+delete screen show. why it taking so long? any ideas?
              Thanks

Comment

Event logs give any clues?

Any startup scripts applied to the DC by Group Policy?

How long has this been happening and what changes did you make before it started? Any servers been decomissioned for instance?
                Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

I have attach on my first post all the event log I have on this server.
                  I am not running any startup script or anything like that. I also do not have any other server excpet this one.

Everything start after I tried to fix the SQL DB for WSUS it gave me a few error event and I decied to follow the microsoft artical to fix the issue I was able to recreate the DB and have the service working right again but I pay for it with startup issue. after change the DNS setting to point to the server I was now able to login without unplug the network cable but it like I state on my last post it take at leat good 15min to come up with the Ctrl+alt+del for login, which make all the boot processes really really slow.

I have notice on other DC server i have (not on the same network) then the DNS server always point to 127.0.0.1 but I do not think it make any diffrent then pointing to the IP of the server 192.xxx.x unless it take more time to the server to make sure it point to it self.

Any idea will be appreacited ThankX

Comment

As I suspected from my request for teh ipconfig, it was a DNS issue. I also don't think 15 mins is THAT unreasonable, unless you have some further DNS issues. AD relies on DNS, and if it can' t find what it is looking for then it may be waiting for something to timeout before trying an alternative method.
                    For your investigation....
                    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                    http://www.wintra.co.il/
                    sigpic
                    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                    X