Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Easy Backup

Hi all,

I have a buddy running a small HVAC company, He has a Dell server with a PowerVault RD1000 (80GB) attached. It's running SBS 2008.

Now, fundamentally there are FIVE folders (and their contents) they need to back up. I've tried using the "Yosemite" software that came with the Dell, but it sucks and I can't tell if it's even working right.

So I figured I'd try Windows Server Backup that comes with SBS.

I can get it working, but it will only allow me to backup the entire D Drive... I just want the 5 folders in it... On top of that, what the backup creates is a VHD file and a whole mess of XML files. Where's the actual data??

Basically, what I want to do is simple (I hope). I want to setup an automation that will simply copy those 5 folders from the D drive to the G drive (the PowerVault) each weekend, and overwrite what's there.

There's really no need for anything more robust, at least not right now. I just want to make sure that this is automated and that if the server blows up, they can rebuild, dump the files back on, and move on...

Thanks in advance for any help!

Chris

Re: Need Easy Backup

Windows Server Backup is "per volume" only, although you can restore individual folders or files.

I'm sure there will be a little script (powershell or vbs) to leverage Xcopy or Robocopy to do it, alternatively you could look at one of the cheaper backup options like Backup Assist.

Remember you should be backing up system state and Exchange as well as your data.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Tom,

OK, so this backup I did, which created the VHD file and assorted XML files, CAN be used to restore individual files and folders?

If so, that would be fine...

I can back up System State, too, but I'll need another disk. How would I recover the system in the event of catastrophic failure? Can I boot from one of these removable disks?

Thanks!

Chris

Comment

Normally you do a reinstall of the basic OS followed by a restore from System State
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Can you clarify for me... What exactly is "System State"?

Comment

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...06(WS.10).aspx

Comment

Thanks, good resource!

Comment

I have a dell server with the RD1000 as well. I purchased symantec backup exec small business server edition. It works like a champ. I backup the system state and the redirected user folders every night.

Comment

The best backup system costs < US$100 - the only cost is a 1TB external USB drive. The rest is done by the built-in backup.
                  Of course, you should have more than one drive and rotate them off-site for DR purposes, but we are not talking about a fortune here....
                  TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                  http://www.wintra.co.il/
                  sigpic
                  Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                  X