Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SBS 2008. 10 Users off site and 3 Users on site. NEED HELP!!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2008. 10 Users off site and 3 Users on site. NEED HELP!!!!!

Ok so here is the scenario, if I was putting in a server and I have 10 people who are off site and 3 who are on site. We would like your ideas on how we would go about this.

We are aware of a lot of different ways in which we could do this but we would like you to give us your opinion.

Some of the things we thought of are REMOTE DESKTOP SERVICES OR TERMINAL SERVICES, however this is a quite expensive process and we would like to steer clear of this as it is not really needed.

What this server will essentially be for is the off site people to be able to share data through SAGE Accounting Software, so the off site people do not need to access any applications through the server which is why we want to rule out Terminal Service/Remote Desktop Services, all we really need is for the off site people to have a mapped network drive to their pc through an internet connection, which is why we have come to the conclusion that a VPN would be a good way to to this.

What we need to know is DO THE PEOPLE WHO ARE OFF-SITE NEED TO BE CONNECTED TO THE DOMAIN ON THE SERVER, because surely they could still login to their PC locally and then click a VPN shortcut on their desktop by which they will then be logged in and can have access to the maaped network drive, and also I realise SAGE Accounting Software would need to be install locally on the off-site PC's

Not really concerned about the on-site PC's at the moment because that is fairly straight forward.

And we would also like to stick with SBS 2008 because it is quite straight forward with wizards for DHCP and things, because I know we could use Hyper-V in Server 2008 R2, and then install SBS 2008 as a virtual Server and use terminal services, but because we do not need the users to access applications on the server this is not required.

Main thing is........ do we NEED TO ADD THE OFF-SITE USERS ON THE SERVER BUT NOT ADD THEM TO THE DOMAIN BECAUSE THAT WOULD MEAN THEY WOULD HAVE TO LOG INTO THE DOMAIN ALL THE TIME WHEN THEY BOOTED THEIR PC FOR VPN.

Kindest Regards

Re: SBS 2008. 10 Users off site and 3 Users on site. NEED HELP!!!!!

Related question: Do the offsite people have work email accounts from the same SBS 2008 server? If so then they presumably have AD accounts and can authenticate to the share through the VPN but don't need to have their PCs on the domain.
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Where I used to work we would have all notebooks connected to the domain and use Cached domin login http://support.microsoft.com/kb/172931/en-us

We also had the VPN client (Cisco) start before login so that the VPN connection could be established before authentication when needed. This would let you log on to the domain as if you where an onsite client.

Comment

with SBS, if you use remote desktop, there's no additional costs - you don't need to pay for TS licences, or citrix or anything.

for sage, based on what i know of it, a terminal server implementation is probably better.

to answer your specific questions:
        No, technically the offsite users do not need to belong to the domain. THey dial up the vpn, then make sure they have a shortcut to map the drives using their domain credentials

For them to access the data, or the vpn, yes you would need to add them an account each within the domain. That doesn't mean their cmputers need to be "on the domain"

LEt me know if you need me to clarify this further
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

a dedacated onsite machine to remote desktop thru vpn will allow one at a time. jeff

Comment

Originally posted by jeff4ro View Post
            a dedacated onsite machine to remote desktop thru vpn will allow one at a time. jeff
            an sbs server will allow more than 1, and more effectively, will allow RWW so you wouldn't need a vpnn tunnel
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Info on your options is here: http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archi...-sbs-2008.aspx
              I depends on how many of your 10 External Users will be connected simultaneously.
              If it is likely to be 2-3, then I would make another workstation or two available in the office and allow outside users to connect to them through RWW.
              More than that, I would go for SBS Premium 2008 or now 2011 with Premium add-on, + 5 STANDARD user CALS plus 10 Terminal Server CALS and set up the second server as a Terminal Server with SAGE published via TS Gateway.
              In anycase, I would avoid VPN as much as possible.
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
              X