SBS 2008, Exchange will not send E-Mail out of local network

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2008, Exchange will not send E-Mail out of local network

I have an SBS2008 w/Exchange running and another server tied to the same domain.
    I can receive e-mail from outside, however every time I try to send something out I'm getting the following unable to relay error. The issue here is I'm not relaying and do not know where the "remote.XXXXX.com" is coming from?? My Mail Server is "DMMAIL.XXXXX.local" and the server with Outlook on it is DM-FAXSERVER.XXXXX.local??
    Note: I'm not well versed in this version of Exchange and will need some step by step help to resolve this. I need to find where the #$%^& m system is picking up "remote.XXXXX.com"

The message is coming from my exchange server:
    The following organization rejected your message: remote.XXXXX.com.

_____

Sent by Microsoft Exchange Server 2007

Diagnostic information for administrators:

Generating server: DMMAIL.XXXXX.local

[email protected]
    remote.XXXXX.com #550 5.7.1 Unable to relay ##

Original message headers:

Re: SBS 2008, Exchange will not send E-Mail out of local network

Have you run the "Configure a Smart Host for Internet e-mail" wizzard from the SBS console?

Are you using a Smart Host or are you using DNS to route the e-mail?

Comment

remote.xxxx.com is the internal and external (FQDN) that DNS gives to your server. That is how you contact the server for remote access/RWW/OWA and how smartphones using activesync connect to your server. It is also the name you should request on your certificates.
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

The remote.XXXXX.com is a default setting that is actually hidden in the "Setup your internet address" wizard in the SBS Console. After it goes through the the first couple of screens you will see one that says "Store your domain name". Underneath the window where you type your domain name and extention, there is a blue line that Reads "Advanced Options", click on that and enter the prefix of your Exchange machine where you can change the default to something like DMMail.XXXX.com.

Once that has been created, you then create your SSL Cert request which will then include the DMMail.XXXX.com info so that you can get a cert that will reslove. Be sure to create a DNS "A" record called DMMail which points to your public IP address and change you MX records to ensure that they are pointed to your Exchange box too.

Good luck!

Comment

Not recommended to change from the defualt remote.etc. If you want another name on the certificate, then by all means, add it - but don't remove or change "remote".
          Last edited by teiger; 15th February 2011, 08:11. Reason: Typos
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
          X