Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS questions

hi,
    I have no experience of ts and would be grateful if somone can answer the following.
    We have an sbs2008 premium server running an app and with shared data folders - 13 local users.
    Am I correct in saying sbs prem comes with a licence to install another sbs server which can act as a ts?
    I have 5 remote users, who need to access the app and data folder.
    Can the 2 servers operate so that both the local and remote users access the app and data folders at same time?

Thanks,

Re: TS Tutorial

Hi,

Usually you will have additional Windows 2008 license. For using it as TS server, you will need to buy a TS client access license.
    You can use folder redirect feather to allow Windows Vista/7 and TS 2008/2008 R2 to share the folders.
    However, its recommended that you will test this implementation in a lab.
    Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Do you have enough "spare" machines in your LAN to use RWW (Remote Web Workplace) to access them remotely -- it is an alternative to setting up TS for a small number of users
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

yes rww is an option if we have spare pc's.
        just referring back to accessing a shared folder. Can I leave the folder on the sbs2008 server and have a desktop shortcut on the ts to which remote users connect and gain access to the data?

Comment

Yes - should be no problems -- and you should be able to pick up the local machines drives on the remote RWW connection to do file transfers
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Just want to point out that the extra license in the premium version is for windows server 2008 not another sbs 2008 server. The sbs 2008 has to be the primary domain controller. You can make the next server a secondary domian controller or use it as a remote office DC. Now on to the rest. You can use the second server as a TS gateway but for 5 users I would just use RWW. It works like a champ and all my users love it. This article can answer alot of questions for you. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sbs/cc817589 scroll down to remote access and you will see what ports you need to open. We also use vpn from our remote users. If your users connect via vpn they can then map to the folder that you want.

There are 3 domain host providers that will allow sbs 2008 to manage it from the wizard. One of them is godaddy. If you are using one of the 3, you can let the wizard control your dns and domain. All you will need to do is open the ports on your router. The server can also control your router but I didn't want to use that part for security.

Ok enough rambling. If you need further help, just ask.

Comment

Re: TS questions

have setup a test ts and can connect externally using rdweb. Problem is that it uses port 443, as does remote web workplace so can ony have one service operational at a time as the zyxel can not nat to 2 local ips at same time.
              Should I change the default port for rww and if so how to do it?

Comment

You may not have it install quite right. You should only use the TS Gateway on the SBS server. If you installed it on the TS also, remove it from there. Also, you need to install the Role TS Web Access on the SBS and use the SBS IIS. Do that instead of installing RD Web Access on the TS. When you install TS Web access on SBS it will create a virtual directory in IIS under the Default Web Site. It is ok to leave it there if you plan on also using Web Access on the local network. But you need to create a copy of it in the SBS Web Applications node in IIS on SBS. When you configure the Gateway and TS Web access on SBS correctly, you can point them to your TS and everything will work on 443. You will also have to work through getting all your SSL Certs consistant so that you only need one SSL Cert.

Comment

have attached screenshot of sbs roles. this is a default as I have not added or removed ts roles on the sbs since installation.
                  are you suggesting to add ts service to sbs and remove gateway from the ts. if i do this, will the ts be accessed externally through remote web workplace rather than rdweb?
                  at present, the ts is listed as server computer, in the connect to computer list in rww.
                  Attached Files

Comment

have added web access & gateway roles to sbs and removed gateway and rdweb from TS.
                    can access remoteapps from local lan via http://server/ts (I am not prompted for credentials until I click on 1 of the apps)
                    Cannot access TS externally. Is this because I have not copied ts node to web app in iis as suggested? If so can you advise how to copy?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Sorry, "copy" might have been a poor choice of words. You need to just highlight SBS Web Applications, right mouse click and select Add Application. Use all the settings in the "TS" in the Default Web Site node. It's been awhile, but when that step is done you may need to edit the bindings to add port 443 so that it looks like the other applications in that node.

The cert on both servers needs to be the same. So SSL Cert needs to be exported from the SBS Server and imported to the TS. In IIS on SBS, highlight your server name. In the middle box is Server Certificates. Use that to export and import. (I only use commercial certs, so I don't know if this works ok with self signed certs or not.)

On SBS go to. Terminal Services Configuraton. Select Properties of RDP-Tcp. On the General Tab, at the bottom, be sure your public cert is selected. Do the same on TS, but it is in the RD Session Host Config, RDP-Tcp properties.

Comment

thanks for your help.
                        Have added ts to sbs apps. Have a godaddy ssl so have imported this to ts.
                        I have a few more questions if you can assist.
                        The first is major regarding security.
                        when I open remote.domain.ie/ts i am presented with the apps as attached. Should I not be prompted for credentials?
                        when I select an app I get the remote computer could not be found. This works from inside the lan OK.
                        Attached Files

Comment

RE: Sercurity ~ on the SBS, IIS, highlight the TS you just created and in the middle box, click on Authentication. Be sure Anonymous is disabled and Windows Authentication is enabled.

RE: remote computer not found ~ I know I fixed this on mine and I know it was a simple fix, but I'm not remembering it at the moment. Give me a few minutes to poke around and I'll get back to you.

Comment

I think the solution to the apps not being found is in the RDP port. On the TS, in RemoteApp Manager, Click on RD Gateway Settings. Be sure that the server name in Use These... is the external FQDN. Then click on the RD Session Host Server tab. The name in there should be your terminal servers name. Then look just below that at Port. It says 3389. Here is where it get's tricky. All I did was change the router to point 3389 to the TS instead of SBS. No big deal for me because I almost never want to RDP into my SBS remotely. I use other tools. I messed around with other ports and I got it workiing on another port once, but I put it back to 3389 and left it. To use a different port, you have to change the RDP listener in the TS registry. That was inconvenient for me because then everyone that had to be set up fot TS access had to use the new port wether they were local or remote.

Comment

the rd gateway is set to automatically detect server settings and the rd session host server is tsname.domain.ie.
                              forward 3389 to ts on router.
                              can access externally now but not internally. would like to be able to access both as remote web workplace works both internally and externally.

Comment

Working...
                              X