Backup/rendundant email server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup/rendundant email server

Hi all, I just installed an sbs 2008 box at my company. When I installed sbs I pointed our MX records away from our yahoo domain and to the sbs box.

Everything works fine except I foresee a problem with the consistency of the email service provided by my server. If I restart the server, if the server crashes, or if our ISP loses connection at the office, everybody will have lost email access. The biggest problem with this is when people send us emails they will get bouncebacks saying the email was undeliverable.

Is there a way to avoid this? I know that MX records have levels of priority; can I use these levels to point a secondary MX record at an email service or server somewhere else? Also, a Dell tech service rep recommended an email filtering service. The rep explained the service this way: In addition to filtering spam for my exchange server, the filtering service would hold on to emails sent to my company until the server comes back up. Does anybody have experience with these filtering services? Do they provide a kind of email redundancy like the rep explained?

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ken

Re: Backup/rendundant email server

You can use a filtering / archiving services such as Messagelabs -- they will provide continuity and are very effective.
    Also remember email does not usually bounce back for 48 hours, so you do have a recovery window
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks a lot Ossian your information was super useful. I contacted MessageLabs.

Off the top of your head, do you know anything about their pricing schemes?

Thanks,
      Ken

Comment

Best you talk to them direct -- it is per address but I'm not sure of the prices (and do not know which country you are in)

They will usually give discounts for larger numbers / longer contracts and as the quarter ends they get bigger
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

GFI offer a similar email protection/continuity service which is (IIRC) cheaper than MessageLabs (which is now called Symantec Hosted Services or something like that).
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

there is also Postini and mimecast provide the same service
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
            X