Static Route on SBS 2008 to use the VPN Interface

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Static Route on SBS 2008 to use the VPN Interface

I am dialed using a PPTP interface on a router located at home into the SBS 2008 server at the office and would like to be able to access one of my home subnets from the office.

This is accomplished simply by Adding a Static Route on SBS telling it to route traffic to my desired home subnet through the VPN Interface.

This works very well if the static route is added "while the VPN Link" is up, but if the VPN link is dropped and reconnected, SBS reverts to using its default gateway for the subnet.

I am using the -p switch to make the static route persistant and am giving in a fixed IP to the client dialed in. I try to give the a low metric to the static route but SBS seems to assign the fixed metric of 31 to the VPN interface and 15 to its default route.

I can't understand what is the cause of this, but should anyone have any suggestions, thoughts or ideas, please drop me a line.

Thanks,

Re: Static Route on SBS 2008 to use the VPN Interface

AFAIK you can't make a persistent route on a non-persistent connection. I.e. you would have to setup a permanent site-to-site VPN for the route to remain persistent.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
    X