Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2008 - Backup Failing - No target disk available

My first post on this forum...

I have an SBS 2008 server at one of my clients and recently the backups have been failing to start after switching target disks.

We use a simple backup strategy where we rotate 3 500GB external USB drives on a daily basis and use the inbuilt SBS 2008 backup facility.

This has been running fine for 5 months but in the last few weeks, after switching the disks, the backup fails intermittently suggesting no target disks are available for the backup. When this happens, the external USB drive does not show in disk management either. What I have found is that when this happens - rebooting the server cures the problem and the external USB drive is then recognised - very annoying!

When the backup fails, there are two error messages in the logs:
    1 - Event 561: Backup Started at '01/01/1601 00:00:00' failed as no target could be found. Please attach a backup target and rerun backup
    2 - Event 546: Backup attempted at '31/12/2010 23:00:01' failed to start, error code '2155348061'

I have even tried reformatting the external USB drive and removing the drive and adding it back into the backup schedule but the problem is still occuring.

Any ideas anyone?

Re: SBS 2008 - Backup Failing - No target disk available

might be a removable disk management service you can stop and start ?

test that. if it works, set a scheduled task to run before your backup, to restart the removable disk amangement service

(I'm forgetting the correct name of it at the moment)
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks for the info but I cannot find any service related to removable disk storage - perhaps this was pre SBS 2008?

Comment

Update:

I disconnected the external drive and then shutdown the server (i.e. not a restart). Whilst leaving the drives disconnected, I booted the server and then reconnected the external drive.

Did this two days ago and seems ok so far. No idea why this should make a difference but thought it may help others in a similar situation..

Comment

actually - you have triggered a memory

in my old role, we had an sbs2003 server, with backup exec 10d, running backup2disk backup routines.

we had removeable drives, with different drive letters assigned to them.
          we sould swpa them every friday morning.

however, backup exec would NOT see the new drive, even though disk management saw it, and we could browse files on it etc.
          the only solution was a script that restarted the backup exec media services prior to the backiup jobs kicking off.

that's probably where my theory came from.

next time the problem occurs, you mentioned you can't see the drive in disk management either. so next time it occurs, can you do a rescan in disk management, and see if it works?

from there, maybe we can work out a script arrangement that will rescan disks 30 minutes before the backup is due ?
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
          X