Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Connecting two SBS 2008 servers to a printer.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting two SBS 2008 servers to a printer.

Hi, first up great forum, has solved more than a few dramas for me for a while now.

I'm the assigned admin for my company's SBS 2008 server. Currently we share the floor with another company that is also running a SBS 2008. We were hoping to create a connection between the two so they can access our multifunction printer.

We are able to simply run a cable between the two as we share a patch panel on the floor. The issue obviously being though that SBS 2008 requiring DHCP on and the rest.

I've had a look about and its been recommended that we use a router to connect the two. I do have a lynksys wrt54G sitting in the office. I've gone through its menu system and it does have settings for routing between two networks.

I'm just having a spot of trouble of understanding how exactly it will work and how the clients will know to go out where.

Am I heading down the path of the correct method to achieve our goals, and also is there a guide about that help me to explain whats going on or how best to configure a setup like this?

Thank you in advance.

Re: Connecting two SBS 2008 servers to a printer.

If directly connected, you will have problems with DHCP as both servers will think they are authoritative and try to issue IPs regardless of which network the client is on.

Also, do you both use the same subnet internally -- SBS default probably?

If 2 identical subnets, the only way I can see it working is:

<Company A subnet>--<router>
    <Company B subnet>--<another router>
    both routers connect to switch with printer also on it.

If they are different subnets, a single router should do the trick

Moved to SBS forum
    Last edited by Ossian; 4th January 2011, 09:27.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

Changing the networks wont be the biggest drama so if I had the printer connected into the 4 port switch of the router and the other side coming into the wan port, what I'd need to do is simply set forwarding from the wan to the lan side same as if I was forwarding any other protocol?

Comment

I don't think forwarding would be needed, just a static route to the subnet the printer is on.

If you use the SBS as a print server (hosting the shared printer) the route would need to be configured once.

Oh, the printer would probably need the router's IP configured as a default gateway.

Just a thought -- does the printer support IPP (internet printing protocol) -- if so, life might get a lot easier.

Also you said MFD -- are you needing to support network scanning / faxing from both LANs?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

If we were to use IPP that would mean that the print is going out one side and comming back in ours? Just a concern is the size you see when you open a print Q the same that would be going in and out both net connections, if so that would appear to be quite a load.

It does have the option to scan to file but only to one location, looking at the other side simply using the scan to USB.

Comment

No, IPP could be used via a router without problems -- doesnt need to go onto the internet (less configuration if it does, though)
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Just my (your currency)0.02 worth!
              With the setup, configuration, maintenance and management costs, wouldn't it be simpler to buy two printers? (KISS theory)
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
              X