Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2008 - Exchange problems

Hi Fellow Forum Members,

First of all before I forget, I hope that you all will have a great and happy new year 2011.

I have this problem that I want a SBS2008 to work with exchange without the server hosting any domains.

We have a website and email hosted at a hosting company, it gurantees us more up time than what we are able to do ourselves.

So I want the connector in exchange to receive the pop mails and then deliver it to the exchange accounts.

All of this was not a problem in SBS2003, but for some reason it seems that SBS2008 want me to actually host the web and mail domain myself, can this really be true or am I doing something wrong?

If someone have done what I want to do on a SBS2008 I am eager to hear about it, as I am about to loos the rest of my hair

Regards,
    Kris

Re: SBS 2008 - Exchange problems

uhm, if you're using the full exchange implementation, WHY would you want to download the email via POP3?

the pop3 connector in SBS2003 was not very reliable, and pop3 is, by it's very nature, inherently insecure.

Is there any particular reason you don't want your exchange server to be the authoritative host?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by slambert View Post
      ... it gurantees us more up time than what we are able to do ourselves...
      Hi Kris,

I have also worried about this aspect of SBS2008, where poor web connectivity can result in emails bouncing back because the MX record points to the unreliable broadband connection in the client's own offices (as opposed to pointing to the reliable ISP's servers). So the desirable thing to do would be to have a secondary, backup MX record. You setup your SBS as it was designed to be, i.e. so that it does have an MX record pointing to it, and you avoid unreliability of web connection by having your ISP host a backup MX record where emails are spooled until such time as the broadband connection to the SBS server comes back up again.

I feel this approach is a good way to avoid POP and yet provide the reliability that you need. If you need more info on how backup MX records work, do let me know.
      Last edited by PaulH; 3rd January 2011, 10:17.
      Best wishes,
      PaulH.
      MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

actually a better option might be something like Mimecast or messagelabs as a primary MX record.

that way, even if your internet connection is down, mimecast and messagelabs will hold your email and spool it once it comes back up.

mimecast and msglabs also provide antispam and antivirus features..

just leave your web hosting where it is, and move the mail hosting..
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Yes, that can work in a similar way. With a backup MX record, that also spools email until your server is back up and running. Tehcamel's suggestion is a similar approach, just more expensive but with the added features too, so you pays your money and takes your choice! Backup MX records can be very cheap per year, Messageslabs charge more for those added features.
          Best wishes,
          PaulH.
          MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Working...
          X