Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 migration - SBS2003 Admin account renamed - HELP PLZ!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 migration - SBS2003 Admin account renamed - HELP PLZ!!!

Hello,

I am in the process of performing a swing migration on our SBS 2003 box to a virtually installed SBS 2008 VM. I have had to rebuild the 'TempDC' box 3 times because of permission failures during the install of SBS 2008.

I believe the main problem I am having is one that I have read about on Technet. On my orignal SBS 2003 machine, I used the group policy to rename the 'Administrator' account to 'somethingelse.'

Technet - cc747484(WS.10)
    (Sorry cant post links in the forums yet...)

I have tried changing it back on TempDC box but am unable to open either Domain Security Poilicy editors because I get 'network path not found' errors. I believe this has to do with Folder redirection within SBS 2003. Yes, I am logged in with a Domain and Enterprise admin account.

Note when I originally created TempDC the Administrator account was correct but as soon as I DCPromo-ed it, 'Administrator' changed to 'somethingelse.'

I would like to back out this change and rename it to Administrator on SBS2003...however I need some clairfication.

I use 'somethingelse' to receive many, many admin notifications, registrar emails, ISP emails, website tracking emails, specific services on the server, etc. I am really concerned that if I rename 'somethingelse' back to 'Administrator' that I will have a ton of issues.

I was going to follow the steps listed here:

Microsoft KB 816109

"To change the name back to Administrator for the account, repeat the preceding procedure. To revert to the Administrator account, do not disable the Rename Administrator Account Group Policy; instead, change the name back to "Administrator," using the GPMC tool, and then clear the Accounts: Rename Administrator Account check box. After the system updates the information, disable the Rename Administrator Account Group Policy."

Is there a difference between 'change the name back' or 'to revert to the Administrator account?'

Are there ANY caveats to changing this back? After renaming the account back on my current SBS 2003 box, can I just create a NEW account with the same name 'somethingelse' and then have no issues? Also, if I rename it back and then create the new account will all of the current 'somethingelse' account info (Docs, exchange email, etc) transfer properly to the new SBS 2008 box?

Any clarification given would be MOST appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris

Re: SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 migration - SBS2003 Admin account renamed - HELP PLZ!!!

anything that currently belongs to "somethingelse" will still belong to administrator, no concerns there.

you also shouldn't lose any emails at all, however the best way to check that is as soon as you're done the rename you referred to, check the properties for the user account and ensure it has the [email protected] email address you need it to have
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Re: SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 migration - SBS2003 Admin account renamed - HELP PLZ!!!

Since you have rename the Administrator account to somethingelse, have you tried CREATING an account called Administrator (since the name actually doesn't exist now in AD )and giving it Administrative privileges?

Does that make sense?
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks for your responses...

tehcamel - I just need to make sure that the alias for 'somethingelse' is still listed in the email properties for 'Administrator,' correct? So I shouldn't try to re-create 'somethingelse' after renaming it back to Administrator?

Biggles - I'm fairly sure that SID 500, ie. root/dministrator, would still be 'somethingelse' even if I were to create an 'Administator' account. I think the issue is that SID 500 has been renamed and that's not a good for SBS 2008 setup.

Thanks!

Chris

Comment

I am confused!
          What is the 500 (SID) account called? Have you successfully renamed it to administrator? What does the SBS BPA say?
          I would get your 2003 server straight before attempting to swing/migrate your server.
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Hi teiger,

That's what I am trying to do!

The Administrator (SID 500) account on OriginalDC(SBS2003) has been renamed to 'somethingelse.' I need to change it back on OrigDC PRIOR to configuring TempDC and running setup on SBS 2008 setup again.

However, I am concerned about the consequences of renaming it back on OrigDC. 'somethingelse' has been used quite extensively for service permissions, email notifications, etc, etc.

I was going to follow the steps listed here:

Microsoft KB 816109

"To change the name back to Administrator for the account, repeat the preceding procedure. To revert to the Administrator account, do not disable the Rename Administrator Account Group Policy; instead, change the name back to "Administrator," using the GPMC tool, and then clear the Accounts: Rename Administrator Account check box. After the system updates the information, disable the Rename Administrator Account Group Policy."

***Is there a difference between 'change the name back' or 'to revert to the Administrator account?'***

**Are there ANY caveats to changing this back on OrigDC?***

**Can I re-create the 'somethingelse' account on OrigDC AFTER changing it back to Administrator without causing any issues?

Note that SBS2003BPA completes on OrigDC without ANY issues noted - even with SID 500 being named 'somethingelse.'

Thanks,

Chris
            Last edited by avaholic; 30th December 2010, 17:05.

Comment

the account name is really just a "pretty name" for the SID, which is what the internal databases work on

at least, that's my understanding.

it's easier for me to remember "tehcamel" than s-1-5-1-2-46512567635
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

AFAIK, you can rename the 500 account in SBS2k3 with relative impunity. You need however to check the 3rd party apps and services for their use of the account.
                TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                http://www.wintra.co.il/
                sigpic
                Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                X