Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SBS 2003 > 2008 Migration Issue - Need to Rebuild SBS2008 and re run migration.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2003 > 2008 Migration Issue - Need to Rebuild SBS2008 and re run migration.

Hi,

I am involved in a project where we are migrating an SBS2003 server to SBS2008 and have run through the migration wizard but not migrated any data or mailboxes yet - ie the new 2008 server is joined to the domain and is also part of the existing Exchange org.

We have accidentally built the server with a single C: drive instead of multiple drives (C:, D: and E: ), so need to rebuild it from scratch.

What needs to be done to reverse what has happened thus far and allow us to run the migration wizard again after rebuilding the server correctly?

Do we need to DCPROMO and demote the the new 2008 server to remove it from AD cleanly, and remove exchange to remove it from the Exc org cleanly? Can this be done?

What would happen if we just wipe the new 2008SBS server and re build it with the correct disk configuration and use the same server name run the wizard again?

Thanks

Paul
    Last edited by biggles77; 29th December 2010, 13:41. Reason: Fix :) smilie issue
    MCITP:Enterprise Admin,
    MSCE
    MCSA: Messaging

Re: SBS 2003 > 2008 Migration Issue - Need to Rebuild SBS2008 and re run migration.

I have looked at the option to Shrink the system Volume but this only allows me to shrink it by 50% and I need to reduce it by about 80%.

I guess the easiest way is to use a 3rd party disk partition tool to resize the existing disk layout on the server, rather than mess abotu rebuilding the server and risk causing more issues?

Anyone know of any Server/SBS 2008 compatible partitioning tools (preferably free?)

Thanks

Paul
    MSCE

Comment

Re: SBS 2003 > 2008 Migration Issue - Need to Rebuild SBS2008 and re run migration.

Restore the System State on the SBS2003 server (from before migration) and then reformat the 2008 box and start again. That's the only way to reset the migration, as you only get 7 days of coexistance between SBS servers before things start going bad.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I understood it was 21 days in SBS2003 > SBS2008 migrations?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...67(WS.10).aspx

Installs an update that extends the time limit for finishing the migration. Normally, only one server running Windows SBS 2008 or Windows SBS 2003 is allowed to be a domain controller on your network, but there is a limited exception for a migration. The update extends the time limit for the exception to 21 days.

Paul
        Last edited by pjrouse; 24th December 2010, 12:39.
        MSCE

Comment

Yeah, you're right, 7 days is the normal period but it's 21 during migration. I'd still restore the System State and start again though, I don't trust disk resizing tools, especially free ones, on critical servers.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I would do something simpler - the only complication if is the 2008 is a DC.
            So remove Exchange from the ORG, if DC, DCPROMO out of the domain. Backup the entire 2008. Reformat/repartition disks, restore 2008 and re-install Exchange to ORG and if DC, DCPRomo back into domain.
            What say you?
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

gParted LiveCD should let you resize your partitions
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
                I would do something simpler - the only complication if is the 2008 is a DC.
                So remove Exchange from the ORG, if DC, DCPROMO out of the domain. Backup the entire 2008. Reformat/repartition disks, restore 2008 and re-install Exchange to ORG and if DC, DCPRomo back into domain.
                What say you?
                Is it not possible to perform a backup of the entire 2008 server, reformat/repartition and then restore the 2008 server backup onto the correctly formatted system without removing Exchange or the DC role?

As long as the new C partition is big enough this should work no?

It also removes the added complexity/risk of uninstalling Exchange and the DC role?

Similar to the process detailed here

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archi...rver-2008.aspx

Thanks to all for your assistance so far!

Paul
                Last edited by pjrouse; 4th January 2011, 11:07.
                MSCE

Comment

Final update

We used Gparted Live CD to repartition the SBS2008 server without issue - thanks TehCamel!!!

Prior to that we tried performing a bare metal backup to an external drive, and trying to restore this to an identical Dell Server.

We tried a bare metal restore on the identical hardware with the disk partitioning setup as per the original server (ie one giant C: partition) and also with the correct partitioning we required (C, D and E drives).

Under no circumstances would the bare metal restore work. This was a great surprise as according to the MS articles, the idea of bare metal restore is to be able to restore to differing hardware (which in this case wasnt different!).

Unfortunately we didnt have time to get to the bottom of the issue so we re partitioned using G Parted instead (after several test runs on test servers), and held our breath whilst the tool did it's stuff.

Has anyone else had issues with bare metal restores?

Thanks

Paul
                  MSCE

Comment

In that case, I would have tried creating just the larger C: partition. Then I would do the restore, followed by defining the new partitions and finally using the move data wizards.
                    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                    http://www.wintra.co.il/
                    sigpic
                    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                    X