No announcement yet.

Uninstall Exchange 2000 from SBS 2000

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uninstall Exchange 2000 from SBS 2000

We have an old SBS 2000 that is no longer being used as a mail server. I want to uninstall Exchange to free up space on the hard drive. E-mail is now being managed by an outside vendor, so I don't need to move or backup any data.

I have done some research on MS technet and it looks like all I have to do is remove all the mailboxes and public folders (which I have done already) and then use add/remove programs.

Is it really that easy or are there some unforeseen problems that I should be aware of?

Thank you in advance for any information.

Re: Uninstall Exchange 2000 from SBS 2000

Iwould backup and remove the edb files. Then restart the Exchange services once more to re-create an empty mailstore. Finally close down and disable the exchange services - but remember your reporting and other functions will no longer work without mail enable on the server.
    (or maybe that only works for Exchange 2003 - senility is kicking in strong as I hardly remember 2000)

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Re: Uninstall Exchange 2000 from SBS 2000

Thanks for the advice. Everything went smoothly and I was able to free up about 4 gigs of space.