No announcement yet.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADPROMO Error

I have SBS 2008 and have installed Active Directory Domain Services. I'm running the Active Directory Domain Services Installation Wizard (dcpromo) with the following options:
    - Advanced Installation so I can specify that it's a domain controller in an existing domain.
    - Replicate data over the network from an existing domain controller

The process fails with a message of "The system cannot find the file specified"
    Just before that, it said "Copying initial Directory Service database file C:\Windows\system32\sbsntds.dit to C:\Windows\NTDS\ntds.dit"

sbsntds.dit doesn't exist anywhere in the Windows folders.
    ntds.dit does exist but is in the 'system32' folder.

Am I overlooking something simple?
    Last edited by Rakarth; 9th December 2010, 06:31. Reason: Edited topic title

Re: ADPROMO Error

I copied ntds.dit (located in the system32 folder) and renamed it sbsntds.dit (in the system32 folder) which fixed the problem. Duh

Is this a fresh SBS install -- if so the wizards should do everything for you?
      Under those circumstances I would be tempted to start again as any manual intervention will have screwed something up.

Or is it an ADC with an existing SBS server?

Thread moved to SBS 2008 forum
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

As Ossian asks, is this an additional DC in SBS2008 or the original SBS? If the original SBS then jsut use the integrated setup (you shouln't be using ADPROMO at all) If this is another server, why do you want another DC?
        Or is this a migration?

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.