No announcement yet.

Strange partition in SBS install (Was: Normal Disk Arrangement?)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange partition in SBS install (Was: Normal Disk Arrangement?)

I have just installed Win SBS 2008. This is my first Server installation (done billions of PCs).

It ended up like this:
    (C NTFS - Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition
    OS (D FAT32 - System, Active, Primary Partition
    (E RAW - Primary Partition

When I was installing, it mentioned the 2Gb "OS" partition but I thought it would just be a temp thing until Windows got installed and sorted it out.
    I ignored it and created my 100Gb C: and was going to format the remaining partition later.
    Now that Windows is in, I'd like to delete the partition for D: and merge the space with the current E: but the BOOTSECT.BAK file is there.

Can I just copy it somewhere, merge D: and E:, format the resulting space as NTFS, assign it D:, and copy the BOOTSECT.BAK file back?
    Last edited by Rakarth; 9th December 2010, 05:33. Reason: Disabled smilies

Re: Normal Disk Arrangement?

Is it a Dell server by any chance?
    If so, D: may be their recovery tools
    Also (apart from the FAT32) this suggests BitLocker at work -- IIRC that creates a smallish partition -- were you asked about that during the install?

What do you see in the D partition?

Moving thread to SBS forum
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Strange partition in SBS install (Was: Normal Disk Arrangement?)

it is reasonably safe to delete bootsect.bak

To be sure though, I'd take a ghost image of the partition first, so you can restore it if ncessary..
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

Re: Strange partition in SBS install (Was: Normal Disk Arrangement?)

Thanks for the replies.
        It is a Dell server but I was the one who set it up, so there are no Dell utilities/applications/resources wasters installed at the moment.
        I checked out BitLocker on wikipedia and I does sound like it could be the cause but it mentions 2 x NTFS drives so I don't think it is, in this case.

In order for BitLocker to operate, the hard disk requires at least two NTFS-formatted volumes: one for the operating system (usually C: ) and another with a minimum size of 100MB from which the operating system boots.
        I enabled View System Files and that drive is completely empty except for that bootsect file.
        The only time that drive was mentioned was at the point where you select which drive to install to, partition, and format. It was already there before I had done any partitioning or formatting so I thought it was like the 8mb partition you see in other OS installs.

I had a shot at moving the bootsect file but I can't delete the partition because it's Active. Found this thread which is helpful:
        But in the end felt I would just move on.
        Last edited by biggles77; 12th December 2010, 12:16. Reason: Fix :) smilie issue