Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Configure SBS 2003 for dial up

Hi
    At the moment we have a broadband connection but have had major problems with the BT connection being down all week. I want to configure a dial up as a temporary measure so the email get's pulled into the SBS 2003 Exchange server but not sure where to start. I'm not bothered about using the internet for browsing as such, just retrieving email.

Is this possible and if so how could I go about doing it?

Re: Configure SBS 2003 for dial up

make sure you've got a modem, then setup a dialup connection
    it's just a ppp dialer
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
      make sure you've got a modem, then setup a dialup connection
      it's just a ppp dialer
      Thanks for this. So if I buy an external modem, install it, configure it to connect to my ISP it will automatically pull the email into exchange when connected?

Will I need to change any settings in exchange to tell it to ignore the broadband and instead use the dial up?

Does exchange simply look to see if there is a connection to the net no matter what that connection may be?

Comment

Assuming you are using POP3 to retreive your emails from the ISP, SBS will (IIRC) pull them over any available connection. If they are being delivered by SMTP to your public IP address, a dialup connection will not help.
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          Assuming you are using POP3 to retreive your emails from the ISP, SBS will (IIRC) pull them over any available connection. If they are being delivered by SMTP to your public IP address, a dialup connection will not help.
          It's SMTP.

Is there any other option I can use as a temporary measure until our broadband is repaired?

Comment

use a secondary MX record somewhere

normally when you setup a permanet connection i nthat manner, you'd have anoter MX record, even if it's just held by a hosting company, so that email can be delivered to the lower priority record.

if your broadband is down, a dialup connection won't help you because you'll need to repoint the MX record in the mean time anyway

depends how long your broadband access will be down for i guess
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
              use a secondary MX record somewhere

normally when you setup a permanet connection i nthat manner, you'd have anoter MX record, even if it's just held by a hosting company, so that email can be delivered to the lower priority record.

if your broadband is down, a dialup connection won't help you because you'll need to repoint the MX record in the mean time anyway

depends how long your broadband access will be down for i guess
              All our email is forwarded to messagelabs from our isp. Not sure if this changes anything.

Comment

then it'll just queue up at Messagelabs, IIRc.

Messagelabs is good like that, i'll just hold your emails until it notices the connector has come back, then it'll trickle it in

you may be able to log your users on to messagelabs webmail in the mean time so at least they can see their email

It should be quite happy there for some time, even if it takes a few days for your internet to come back

(don't quote me - maybe ring and check with msglabs)

Comment

If I took the server home and plugged it into my internet would it drag all the mail into the server?

Comment

No, because you would need to tell Messagelabs to deliver to your home IP address

If you really wanted to, you could probably get the IP for your dial up connection, put it into messagelabs and tie up the connection totally while mail is being downloaded. Of course dialup IPs change each time you connect...

BT seem to have got their act together after the recent outages, none of which lasted more than 24 hours -- I would be inclined to live with them, or consider a 3g router as an option
                    Tom Jones
                    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                      No, because you would need to tell Messagelabs to deliver to your home IP address

If you really wanted to, you could probably get the IP for your dial up connection, put it into messagelabs and tie up the connection totally while mail is being downloaded. Of course dialup IPs change each time you connect...

BT seem to have got their act together after the recent outages, none of which lasted more than 24 hours -- I would be inclined to live with them, or consider a 3g router as an option
                      It's now been down since last Tuesday and still down.

I've restored an image of the server to a spare PC (server was too heavy to shift) and got message labs to route mail to my home IP address.

I've now got it all hooked up, got internet access tried to connect and retrieve the mail through exchange but nothing seems to have happened.

Do i need to change anything on the router?

Messagelabs hold it for 7 days before returning to sender.
                      Last edited by dkb; 5th December 2010, 12:04.

Comment

you need to forward port 25 on your router to port 25 on your temporary server

Comment

Working...
                        X