Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange Public Folders and POP3 Connector

Hi,

I have a problem configuring POP3 connector to retrive mail and store them on a public-folder mail and, at the same time, to the admin account.

At a first glance you will say, it is easy, you just need to create a distribution-group under SBS Console Management, and add the admin account and the public-folder mail's to the distribution-group; then it is just a matter of configuring the POP3 connector to put mails onto the distribution-group...

BUT add a public-folder mail's to a distribution group/list is not possible at all
    (N.B.: It is not possible using Windows SBS Console Management)

I have a solution but it is not elegant... The ugly solution is:

1- Create a dummy account (ex. [email protected])
    2- Create a Distribution group (ex. [email protected])
    (Under Exchange Management Console and not via Windows SBS Console)
    3- Add the pubblic-folder mail's to the Distribution Group
    4- Add the Admin mail's to the Distribution Group
    5- Configure recipient redirection for the dummy user (see step 1)
    that will forward all mails to the Distribution Group/List

The result is that all mail retrived from POP3 are redirected, using a dummy account, to a distribution-group.

Have you any other (nice/better) solution ?

Just for the record. If you create a Distribution Group under Windows SBS Console, you then can add the public-folder mail's using Exchange Management Console. The problem is that if you then check the distribution-group members on the SBS Console you will not see the public-folder mail... (I have not tryied this solution, because I don't like this sort of hack)

Bye Bye!

Re: Exchange Public Folders and POP3 Connector

I have a much better solution - stop using the POP3 connector. Use Exchange as it was designed, direct SMTP delivery.
    If you have a permanent connection to the Internet then there are NO good reasons for using the POP3 connector.

Furthermore, you aren't limited to doing only what the SBS management console allows you to do. You should do everything that you can through the console, but if you want to do something more advanced, like adding a public folder to a group, then you can do so. As long as the public folder is mail enabled then that will not be a problem.

If you drop the POP3 connector then you can have email delivered directly to the group and will have a much more efficient email management system.

Simon.
    --
    Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
    More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
    Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
    In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Originally posted by Sembee View Post
      I have a much better solution - stop using the POP3 connector. Use Exchange as it was designed, direct SMTP delivery.
      If you have a permanent connection to the Internet then there are NO good reasons for using the POP3 connector.
      I understand you, but in some situation you can't stop using the POP3 connector.
      For examples: some internet services (for business work) gives you an email like: [email protected]; that it is used for important communication... The only way to retrive this mail is using the POP3 connector.

Originally posted by Sembee View Post
      If you drop the POP3 connector then you can have email delivered directly to the group and will have a much more efficient email management system.

Simon.
      Thank you Simon for the answers

Daniele

Comment

Originally posted by danielec View Post
        I understand you, but in some situation you can't stop using the POP3 connector.
        For examples: some internet services (for business work) gives you an email like: [email protected]; that it is used for important communication... The only way to retrive this mail is using the POP3 connector.

Thank you Simon for the answers

Daniele
        In situations like that you can use both SMTP and the POP3 connector. SMTP for normal email, and use the POP3 Connector to pull the service mailbox messages in to the mailbox you want to receive it. I've done this in the past where companies have used generic email (E.g. [email protected]) to pull those messages into Exchange.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
          In situations like that you can use both SMTP and the POP3 connector. SMTP for normal email, and use the POP3 Connector to pull the service mailbox messages in to the mailbox you want to receive it. I've done this in the past where companies have used generic email (E.g. [email protected]) to pull those messages into Exchange.
          The problem is that if you want to pull messages (using POP3 connector) and forward them to a public-folder mail's account; you can't; it's not allowed.
          You have, as I said before, to use a trick (see my first post).

In short, what I want to know is if it is possible to pull mail from a pop3 connector and forward all the mails to a known user (ex [email protected]) and also to a pubblic-folder mail's (ex. [email protected]). AFAIK this is not possible, because, if you create a distribution-group, you can't include a pubblic-folder mail's in it.

Comment

Originally posted by danielec View Post
            The problem is that if you want to pull messages (using POP3 connector) and forward them to a public-folder mail's account; you can't; it's not allowed.
            You have, as I said before, to use a trick (see my first post).

In short, what I want to know is if it is possible to pull mail from a pop3 connector and forward all the mails to a known user (ex [email protected]) and also to a pubblic-folder mail's (ex. [email protected]). AFAIK this is not possible, because, if you create a distribution-group, you can't include a pubblic-folder mail's in it.
            It is possible, as Sembee posted above. It's NOT possible in the SBS console however, you'll need to do it in Exchange.
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
              It is possible, as Sembee posted above. It's NOT possible in the SBS console however, you'll need to do it in Exchange.
              Maybe I don't understand, sorry.

The pop3-connector, who pulls the mail from the external account, is only configurable from Windows SBS Console. There is not pop3-connector available in exchange 2007. Now, how can I say to exchange: "Every mail pulled must be forwared to: [email protected]" and [email protected] ?" I have also tryed creating a transport-rules, but it seems that the transport-rule can't affect the mail pulled via pop3-connector.

My conclusion is:
              Pop3-connector pull mails and save them directly in the user mailbox. There is not exchange interaction there. In other terms, Trasport-rules dosn't affect mail pulled from pop3-connector.

Sorry again if I have missed something.

And thanks you all.

Comment

Working...
              X