No announcement yet.

sbs2008 premium / hyper-v / user data

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sbs2008 premium / hyper-v / user data

Hi All
    Ok shall post this question here as the hyper-v forum dont seem to be interested.

Need some help on how the user data is stored / permissoned when installing SBS 2008 premium with the second server on a single piece of hardware using hyper-v?

I have 2 disks raid 1 to hold VM and data.

I have the microsoft recommended windows 2008 R2 as the parent sitting on the hardware and one install of SBS 2008 and Windows 2008 as child partitions within hyper-v on seperate partitions on my raid 1.

So a break down of my partitions is 4 parts.

Primary W2008 x64 Hyper-v
    Child SBS2008 prem
    Child W2008 Terminal Server
    Unused portion of space xxxx

The issue i have is that when you are configuring the SBS server to store the user data it either needs to be within the VHD of the SBS server or if you use other disks on the same physical server you cannot assign domain security as the parent server running the hyper-v is not part of the domain.
    My issue is how do i have SBS as a virtual server but have disk space outside the physical machine and still maintain domain security?

maybe i am missing something or is the standard to store user data within the
    VHD of the SBS 2008 VM?

Basically within microsofts supported config of 2008 prem within hyper-v where are the exchange databases and user folders to be stored?

Within the virtual machine / vhd or externaly?

Re: sbs2008 premium / hyper-v / user data

Originally posted by colinbentley View Post
    maybe i am missing something or is the standard to store user data within the
    VHD of the SBS 2008 VM?
    Yes, you store the user data within the VHD of the SBS VM. IMHO there is nothing to be gained by trying to put the user data on a drive on the parent OS

Hey bigstan

many thanks for reply. i agree with your opinion, the reason i posted the question is that i think the whole sbs 2008 hyper-v scenario is a bit of a mess for small business. I have read some crazy configs for running this installation and thought i was missing something as other techs seems to be seperating everything including the user data which wont work due to the hyper-v parent not being part of the domain.

cheers mate

I can't really speak for what other techs are saying, but I'd guess they mean it is a good idea to seperate user data, Exchange, and SharePoint off of the c: drive to another drive. That just means to create another virtual disk and apply it to your SBS virtual. Then move the data over to it. But still in the same VM

I don't see the point in using HyperV at all. Another Windows server to patch, making things a lot more complicated, as you have to suspend the virtual machine to reboot the host. A mess.

Use VMWARE vSphere instead. Allocate the entire storage to VMWARE and then give SBS the space it requires as it requires it. Once the base VMWARE is installed (15 minutes at most) everything else is done from the desktop management application. Create ISOs for SBS 2008 and the installation occurs in about half the time it does through the DVD.

Simon Butler
          Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
          Exchange Resources List:
          In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

It is quite common in the SMB space to use Hyper-V for premium to save two physical machines - especially as the hardware is probably underutilised except for I/O.
            I think the OP has basic confusion because of using VM. I say just use the SBS as you would on a physical machine. That means, if you need to add a D: drive, on a physical machine you would either build or partition a separate RAID. In VM you need to create a VHD (perhaps on the "unused portion of space") and allocate it to the SBS. Then using regular SBS tools, move the eg Exchange databases from C: to D:.

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.