X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migration from SBS 2003 R2 to Server 2008 R2 difficulties

Hi there,

I'm a newbie here and this is my first thread

I have encountered a difficulty in migrating from SBS 2003 R2 (Exchange was previously uninstalled) to Windows Server 2008 R2.

The company that I work for used the old SBS for a few years and since we no longer use local Exchange and wanted to refresh Hardware, we decided to buy a new machine and I installed a fresh copy of Windows 2008 R2 on it.

My boss and I started the migration to the new server and it seems that AD, DNS and DHCP synced nicely. However, when we wanted to demote the SBS we found that Sysvol at the 2008 R2 is empty and was not migrated. Upon further looking into the matter we also noticed that the Group Policy is full of SBS related objects that we won't use anymore.

All logs for the migration seems fine, but the Logon Server remained SBS...
    A few days ago SBS found out that its not the only DC in da hood and now, officially offended, decided to Shut Down on hourly basis...

Can someone please advise on how to sort these issues out?

SBS wants to retire...

All the best,

Barak.

Re: Migration from SBS 2003 R2 to Server 2008 R2 difficulties

What tool did you use for the Migration? Swing Migration, the Microsoft Transition Pack or something else?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

An SBS server shouldn't shut down upon detecting the existence of another DC as that's a fully supported scenario. If it detects the existence of another SBS that's a different matter. Are you sure the new server is W2K8R2 and not SBS2K8?

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
        An SBS server shouldn't shut down upon detecting the existence of another DC as that's a fully supported scenario. If it detects the existence of another SBS that's a different matter. Are you sure the new server is W2K8R2 and not SBS2K8?
        Hi,

Thanks for the reply

I'm sure that it is not SBS2008. The version that I installed is a Windows Server STD 2008 R2, also purchased CALs for the users that it supposed to serve.

Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
          What tool did you use for the Migration? Swing Migration, the Microsoft Transition Pack or something else?

Hi,

We didn't use any tools.
          We joined the new server to the domain and promoted it to DC, and transferred the roles. DHCP, DNS and AD got replicated and they are synced. Only Sysvol remained empty on the new server and this is where we stand at the moment...

Comment

once you transfer the master roles from SBS, it's going to start crying and shutting itself down.

Have a look at some other threads on here, there's been a few about how to handle it..

Upgrading from SBS domain to a standard domain isn't a straight forward step like it wuold be with std domain to std domain
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by RebelX View Post
              Hi,

We didn't use any tools.
              We joined the new server to the domain and promoted it to DC, and transferred the roles. DHCP, DNS and AD got replicated and they are synced. Only Sysvol remained empty on the new server and this is where we stand at the moment...
              So that's why the SBS server is shutting down. My suggestion would be to transfer the FSMO roles back to the SBS server until you resolve the replication issue.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                So that's why the SBS server is shutting down. My suggestion would be to transfer the FSMO roles back to the SBS server until you resolve the replication issue.
                dude,

I am now at a point where only the missing Sysvol and Netlogon keeps me away from demoting SBS... I would hate to role back...

Common ppl! One small step for you and a great pension plan for old man SBS

Comment

Originally posted by RebelX View Post
                  dude,

I am now at a point where only the missing Sysvol and Netlogon keeps me away from demoting SBS... I would hate to role back...

Common ppl! One small step for you and a great pension plan for old man SBS
                  It's not a roll back. It's simply transferring the FSMO roles back to where they currently belong (they belong on the SBS server until the W2K8 server is completely ready to take over and the SBS server is ready to be removed, which is not where you're at yet because of the replication issue) . It in no way impacts your ability to go forward after resolving the replication issue. It does not move you backward in the migration process. If you don't transfer the roles back, then you're probably going to continue fighting the issue... one hour at a time.

Comment

I did a similar migration myself not that long ago, and the problem I had was that replication threw a Journal Wrap error and so the new box thought it was a DC/GC and you could transfer the FSMO roles to it, but the SYSVOL share hadn't replicated so no clients could detect a domain network.

Turn the SBS box on, gracefully transfer the FSMO roles back and then fix the replication issues. If it is a Journal Wrap error (easily seen in the event logs) then it'll take a couple of hours at the most to fix and replicate. IIRC you will only see the error on the source server though, not the target.
                    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                    sigpic
                    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Thanks for the heads up, I will roll back the FSMO... but I have to verify one thing.

When I will do that, SBS will stay on and I will be able to replicate everything peacefully?

Comment

Yes, that should be the case.

Comment

Tranfer the roles back to the SBS . Then look at the FRS logs in the event viewer. Make sure that everything is happening correctly there. No Journal Wrap etc.
                          Transfer the roles back to your new server and make it a GC (allow enough time for the transfer to complete smoothly). Finally to make sure that the SBS is gone forever, go through this procedure.
                          Are you also sure that Exchange has gone completely from the AD?
                          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                          http://www.wintra.co.il/
                          sigpic
                          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
                            Tranfer the roles back to the SBS . Then look at the FRS logs in the event viewer. Make sure that everything is happening correctly there. No Journal Wrap etc.
                            Transfer the roles back to your new server and make it a GC (allow enough time for the transfer to complete smoothly). Finally to make sure that the SBS is gone forever, go through this procedure.
                            Are you also sure that Exchange has gone completely from the AD?

Man,
                            This post helped me to resolve this issue.

SBS is now in server heaven thanks to you! Cheers!

Comment

Wow, that was a looong procedure
                              Never mind the "Cheers". Give reputation points on the yin-yan above!!!!!
                              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                              http://www.wintra.co.il/
                              sigpic
                              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                              X