No announcement yet.

Use POP3/SMTP remotely and from intranet

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use POP3/SMTP remotely and from intranet

Is it possible to setup Exchange in SBS2008 and Outlook so that a remote user can use same POP3/SMTP settings when he returns to the office?
    I've set up a Client receive connector according to recommended settings listening on port 587 with TLS, and this works fine when outside the network, but not when the user returns to the office. The Default receive connector listens on port 25, and adding port 587 doens't seem to make any difference. Am i missing something or is it just not possible?
    Outlook Anywhere seems to have disadvantages with slow connections and large mailboxes.

Re: Use POP3/SMTP remotely and from intranet

Solve your Outlook Anywhere issues.

POP3 is a legacy protocol that should only ever be used as a last resort. It'll strip the email off your Exchange server and into PST files on your clients, so there's a high danger of losing data as it's not getting centrally backed up any more. To do what you want you'll have to use the same DNS names internally and externally as well.

In addition Outlook Anywhere gives you the full Outlook experience: Calendars, Contacts, Tasks etc which you can't get through POP. If you must use something other than Outlook Anywhere use OWA.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    Cruachan's Blog

Re: Use POP3/SMTP remotely and from intranet

I think I have it working now. I just had to add Exchange Servers to the Permission Groups in the Client receive Connector. So now, the settings are:
      All IP addresses listening on port 587
      Authentication: TLS, Basic (after TLS), Integrated Windows
      Permission Groups: Exchange Users and Exchange Servers.