Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Client PCs get wrong DNS Forwarders (Was: Default Gateway)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Client PCs get wrong DNS Forwarders (Was: Default Gateway)

Hi guys,

I was having trouble with companyweb not working on the client PCs but did work on the server. As i was playing around with it, I realised the DNS Servers listed in ipconfig was the the local dns server's ip address, as well as, 2 of the ISPs DNS servers. When I set a static IP address to the client with only the local sbs dns server as a dns server, it all works fine.

I have tried both CTIW and FNCW with no changes.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by gerdy; 29th November 2010, 11:06. Reason: Wrong information provided!!!

Re: Client PCs get wrong Default Gateway

It's a crappy feature of Server 2008 in general, not just SBS, that pretty much demands external DNS servers and doesn't seem to want you to use root hints.

If the clients are getting ISP DNS servers that's a DHCP option, so you need to remove the ISP DNS servers from there and only have the SBS IP address. If DHCP knows about them then they'll almost certainly also be configured as forwarders in DNS.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Microsoft's current recommendation for the W2K8 platform, including SBS2K8 is to use root hints and not forwarders. That being said, if the DNS server is configured to use forwarders that should not carry over to DHCP. DHCP will only assign DNS servers that you specifically set in your DHCP Scope or DHCP Server options. My suggestions would be:

1. Make sure the SBS server is configured to use itself only for DNS. This is assuming that you've got only one AD\DNS server (the SBS server). This is configured on the TCP\IP properties of the server NIC.

2. Make sure that your DNS clients only use internal DNS servers for DNS resolution. Assuming that you've only got one DNS server (the SBS server) then the clients should only be using the SBS server for DNS.

3. If you're using DHCP to assign ip addresses to clients make sure that the DHCP server only hands out internal DNS servers in the Scope or Server options.

4. You can configure the DNS server to use forwarders if you like, but as I said, Microsoft's current recommendation is to use root hints and not forwarders.

Comment

The title states "Default Gateway" but the thread is abaout DNS Forwarders. Please try to be precise so as not to confuse!
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Slightly OT, but I'm surprised MS are recommending root hints. Anytime I've installed a 2008 DC/DNS server it's automatically added the other DNS servers in the domain as forwarders, which is a right royal PITA when you decomission or change the IP of a server. I've never asked it to do this, and haven't as yet found a way to prevent it happening.

Been a while since I installed SBS so can't remember what the wizards asked for.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Sorry teiger, it was an error on my behalf. Feel free to change it if you can.

Cruachan, I prefer forwarders but for mid to large networks i think root hints are the way to go. Dunno if we should be trusting our single ISPs dns too much to be forwarding to them.

Comment

Re: Client PCs get wrong DNS Forwarders (was: Default Gateway)

Just correcting the title, thanks.
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
              X