Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote desktop with virtual machine

Hello,

We've just setup a new SBS 2008 box, everything works very well. Now my problem is that we have a second very small office (only two people), in a different city. We need them to connect to our shared folders and work with MS Office documents. The remote office is in a large building, and we can't connect them point to point with a VPN, as they don't have any equipment, the firewalls are from a larger company in the same building, and we don't have access. I thought in using the RWW, but I don't have any experience with RWW and I know if it will be a good option.

My idea is to setup a computer in the main office for them and use the SBS remote connection to work locally. My question is, can I have the computer and one virtual machine for the other user?. Will they be able to use the remote desktop connection at the same time?, what do you think?.

Thank you very much and have a nice day,

Jud

Re: Remote desktop with virtual machine

Do you intend for two different people to connect remotely, one to physical machine and one to virtual?

If so, then the answer is yes, they are completely separate windows entities and you can connect to them separately (the VM should be configured with bridge networking adapter, so it would get IP from the physical network).

If I misunderstood your question, please show us some kind of basic diagram.
    Regards,
    Leonid

MCSE 2003, MCITP EA, VCP4.

Comment

Thank you very much for your answer Venom83.

Yes, it's exactly what I want. I want to setup one computer (Windows 7 or XP Pro) for the first user, and inslall one Virtual computer for the second user. I'll also add a second network card (one for each). I don't have any experience on virtualization, but I thought that this could be a good option to our case.

I want the two remote workers to point their Internet browser to https://remote.mycompany.com and then select "connect to a computer" and connect to their shared computer (one real, one virtual) to have their remote desktops and work with MS Office docs in the SBS shared folders.

What software do you recommend for the virtualization environment?

Thanks again,

Santi

Comment

I'm really not familiar with SBS and it's features.
        As for the VM part - you don't need a second NIC. The physical machine and the VM can share the same NIC but still have different MAC and IP addresses and DNS names. Look at the diagram

VM software:
        You should find a software that will boot the VM on physical machine boot.
        Look here for VMware workstation discussion (not freeware): http://communities.vmware.com/thread/119456
        You can do it with VMware server (I did it couple of years ago).
        http://www.vmware.com/products/server/
        Take a look at MS virtual Server: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...virtualserver/
        There is also SUN VirtualBox.
        http://www.virtualbox.org/

As you can see, there are a lot of options and that's not all of them. You need to decide what you need in your environment, focus on aspects of connectivity, security, easy of acess, price, etc.
        Attached Files
        Regards,
        Leonid

Comment

Thanks again Venom83. I'll try to set it up and come back here to post my results

Have a nice weekend,

Jud

Comment

Good luck.
            You too!
            Regards,
            Leonid

Comment

Should work, so long as you have another server. IIRC SBS doesn't support the Hyper-V role.
              BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I thought he wanted to do it on workstation(s). Even so, virtual or not (it doesn't make any difference) you can use RWW as it is just another implementation of TS/RDS (Terminal Services/Remote Desktop Services).
                TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                http://www.wintra.co.il/
                sigpic
                Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Thanks for your answers,

Yes, my idea is to use one workstation for two users, one using the real computer and the second using one virtualized computer. I want them both use RWW to work as if they were in the office LAN.

2 remote clients
                  Remote Web Workplace (remote.mycompany.com)
                  |
                  |
                  |
                  SBS2008
                  |
                  |Connect to a computer option in RWW
                  |
                  Workstation
                  with virtual machine

I don't want to use the server for this, I prefer to make all the tests in a different workstation

Will I be able to join the virtual machine to the LAN domain?

Thanks a lot,

Jud

Comment

You can join the VM to the domain, yes. It's a regular Windows machine except for it's hardware.

As for the connectivity, I just want to point out once more the fact that those machines will be completely different for the remote point of view, so you'll need something like remote1.mycompany.com and remote2.mycompany.com. Also, as mentioned before, you'll need a listening and configured service to connect to inside the OS environment, be it RWW, TS, RDP, RDS or whatever. The reason I'm repeating this is I want to make sure that you know that if your physical machine is running SBS 2008, it has it's services, with RWW between them; your virtual OS will have to host some kind of RDP service as well.
                    Regards,
                    Leonid

Comment

If you usr the //connect site to connect your workstations (virtual and physical) to the SBS domain, then SBS will make all necessary services available and publish the workstations via RWW. Just don't use "Home" editions of Windows.
                      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                      http://www.wintra.co.il/
                      sigpic
                      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Thank you very much to all of you. I'm going to set it up and I'll post here the results.

Have a nice day,

Jud

Comment

Working...
                        X