Allow local windows updates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allow local windows updates

I have an SBS 2003 Standard SP2 server and I would like to allow the local users the ability to do Windows updates. There is no I cannot find a GP defined for this and in the defaul group policy, 'windows updates' shows 'not configured'. Where can I find the policy that is restricting the users from doing their own updates? Thanks.
    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Re: Allow local windows updates

Users need to be Local Administrators on their PCs to do Windows Updates. I would not recommend allowing that, as you'll end up with users installing their own applications etc.

I would strongly recommend you download WSUS (free download from Microsoft) and maintain administrative control over updates.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

The users are local administrators. I believe the SBS wizard makes them local by default ,however, Windows updates indicates the updates are managed by the network which I believe is a GP. I cannot find the GP to disable this. Although I appreciate your advice, this is a rather peculiar situation. There is a local registry edit to wrk around this but I should not have to do this.

Thanks

Comment

I found what I was looking for in the default domain policy. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X