SBS 2003 limit 75gb of Exchange and moving some mailboxes to other server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2003 limit 75gb of Exchange and moving some mailboxes to other server

I have SBS 2003 with Exchange that just hit 75gb database limit. I also have Exchange 2003 running on other server being frontend server for SBS.

Usually when i create new mailboxes those are created on the Front Exchange (no idea why it's chosen by SBS 2003 creator. But those mailboxes are kinda not accessible until i go to Front and do Move Mailbox from Exchange Task back to SBS.

I didn't bothered much with it since I create one mailbox per month so it wasn't really bugging me but now that I hit the limit I need to find some temporary solution to couple of my problems:

1. When i want to move some mailboxes (old ones) to Front I am not able to choose it as destination server. Is this normal for SBS 2003? Why is the server missing? I don't want to use those moved mailboxes (at least not now) but I would rather not delete them / keep in PST. I just want to keep them for reference in case some users come back to company.
    2. How can I make SBS 2003 always create mailbox on SBS2003 and not FRONT?
    3. Can I temporary use FRONT exchange to also hold some mailboxes to solve the problem with 75GB limit until solution to fix this in place? I am planning to migrate to Full Exchange 2010 Standard but it's 1-2 months time to get it done (whole infrastructure needs to be redesigned).
    4. What other options I have ? Defragment DB ? Will lower it about 10GB or more like 200MB
    My website with some small projects - http://www.pro-solutions.pl

Re: SBS 2003 limit 75gb of Exchange and moving some mailboxes to other server

Normally a front end server would not have any mailboxes on it, or even run the Information Store service. I don't know why your new mailboxes are created on there, in fact I don't recall ever having heard of having multiple Exchange servers in an SBS domain.

Best practices for FE Servers are here, if it was setup this way then you won't have an Information Store on it and therefore can't move mailboxes to it. I'd be surprised if a defrag will get you much space back and it'll take a long time, so I'd go with the PST option for now, as inconvenient as it is.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Your other option is to utilise the 75Gb in Public Folders. Create a folder for each user and make sure only say the user and administrator have access. Move any older info from the live mailbox to the public folder, then defrag etc. That way you get 150Gb storage in Exchange.
      FE is not supported in SBS.
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Thanks. For some reason i don't get emails from this forum to my email. I'll go for PST option until Exchange 2010 is in place.

As for FE with SBS it was setup this way and works for a very long time. But I'm glad we will be getting out of it.
        My website with some small projects - http://www.pro-solutions.pl

Comment

As i repeat frequently:not supported doesn't mean it doesn't work, just you assume responsibility...
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
            Your other option is to utilise the 75Gb in Public Folders. Create a folder for each user and make sure only say the user and administrator have access. Move any older info from the live mailbox to the public folder, then defrag etc. That way you get 150Gb storage in Exchange.
            FE is not supported in SBS.
            That's thinking outside of the box I like it.

Comment

Working...
            X