Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failed boot drive - advice please !

Hi folks.

I have an SBS 203 server running on a server with LSI MegaRaid. One disk in the mirror array failed and appears to have taken out the boot operating system on the second drive. LSI does not see any drives.

I can mount the disk and see all of the files, however it won't boot, I just get "operating system not found".

Can anyone help me to boot the server ?

If not, can anyone advise on how I can rebuold the server and use the existing files to recover things ? Is that even possible ?

All help appreciated more than I could possibly convey :>)

NM
    Neil Mac

Re: Failed boot drive - advice please !

if it's a proper mirror, the failure of one drive shouldn't have affected the other

chuck a new secondary drive in and rebuild the array.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

You may need to move the drive from slot 1 to slot 0.

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
        if it's a proper mirror, the failure of one drive shouldn't have affected the other
        That's what I thought too, but you know what thought thought and he was wrong. All I was able to do was use a recovery program on the trashed HDD (NOT the failed one) and recover the data (it trashed both partitions). Trashed HDD was fine once it was formatted and reconnected to RAID (after extensive testing with manufacturer and other tools).

Do you have a recent backup with System State that you can use to Restore everything to a new build?
        Also, check that the RAID Controller is not playing silly buggers and not seeing the "good" drive. Can be done by reoving the "good" HDD and adding another one.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I spoke with LSI support, they advised aainst rebuilding the array as it had potential to lose data.

I dont have enough in the way of backup to do a full recovery. I had a case open with Microsoft, and we couldn't get anything to boot, I tried images but couldn't get them to work.

So, since I could access the files and we don't have a huge amount of users, i am going to rebuild the server, restore echange and the userd from exchange, rejoing the pcs to the domain and pretty much start again.

Thanks for the help.

NM
          Neil Mac

Comment

Ouch. Thats a whole heap of work.

Next time make sure you have a good backup strategy

Comment

Full backup every day is my recommendation and if you can afford it, an image say once a month
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

That sucks, sounds like something strange going on there. I have recovered from both a hardware and software mirror with no problems in the past.

My most recent experiance was on an SBS server with mirrored drives that one went in to predicitive failure so dell sent me a new one, in the mean time the predicted failure drive died, then the good remaining one went to predictive failure and died during the rebuild. What a pain...both drives in a mirror failed within 36hrs of each other.

Gotta love Backup exec and intellegent diaster recovery though!!!

Comment

Working...
                X