Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Move 950GB from SBS 2003 to 2008 Standard?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Move 950GB from SBS 2003 to 2008 Standard?

Hello,

I purchased a new server from Dell to be a member server for file storage. Currently our SBS 2003 box has a 950Gb network share that needs to move to the new server when it arrives. In testing I have found that I don't think that this can be accomplished in one weekend especially if I ran a full backup before starting the move.

I have researched the posibility of DFS but I don't think that will be an option because I have SBS 2003 Standard R2. I have considered robocopy but I am wondering if there is a better option to replicate the data to the new location.

I would consider a small purchase of 3rd party software to accomplish the task if anybody has a recommendation.

Thanks

Re: Move 950GB from SBS 2003 to 2008 Standard?

2 x 10GB NICs and a crossover cable would work.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I am not sure that it would help, the whole SBS install is one big raid 5 split in to 2 partitions. The data part is 1.2TB we are down below 150Gb free space. The 7200rpm sata drives hooked to the onboard controller I think are the biggest bottleneck at this point.

Each server will have a second network card it is worth testing with a cross over cable though.

Comment

a couple of floppies should do the trick

But seriously,

If the new hardware and the old are similar, specifically the controller cards. You can physically remove the connector from the old machine and add it to the new one, if you have a spot available. Boot it up and copy the data,

Some obvious notes:
        You need to know what the heck your doing!!
        The older machine will be offline.
        Dont call me if you fry the whole thing.
        and yes backups.
        "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

swapping the disk would be teh best option imo.

the other idea would be to do a STAGED data move. you're talkin about 950GB already. it might make sense to do it by departments, or folders or something.

sure, it'll take a week, but think about it this way. If you do your mammoth move over the weekend, and it fucks up.. well.. are you going to sit there, watching 950GB move all weekend to pick it up if it stops ?

What you could try doing as well, is using Robocopy with the /MIR option
          that will make a complete mirror....
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

The entire 950Gb is one mapped drive.

We are an engineering firm so our data grows rapidly. Our departments are divided in to 2 groups the other one exceeds 800GB. My full backup is 7 LTO2 tapes...

Robocopy /mir seems to be the best option so far. I was wondering if there were any other products with simular function that I should consider.

Although the floppy drive would be ideal except I didn't order a floppy in the new server. I would only need roughly 675555.5 floppies.

Comment

Engineering files are usually quite large so they will copy a lot faster than small files.

Does the new machine have a proper RAID Controller? eg NOT onboard
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Actually in our case we have millions of not so big files. txt files pdf's and excel sheets. mostly.

It is a poweredge R510 w/ the Perc h700 controller.

Comment

new server is 6 x 15K 6GBPS 600GB drives in Raid 10. w/expansion for 6 more drives

Comment

Assuming that the majority or the data does not change ofter, you can continuously sync the data till the final sync is quite small. look at the xcopy /d perhaps.
                    The first will take a very long time, each subsequent should be smaller then the prior.
                    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Second Copy is another option. I would even consider compressing the files into several large files and copy them that way. TXT, DOC and XLS files have lots of white space in them and compression will make them smaller. Still takes time to compress and decompress them though. I think if you can start Friday as close of business and run it all weekend you will have it all copied accross by Monday morning.

Robocopy with the appropriate switches to maintain permissions and to continue when a file hangs. Can't remember what they are as it is a long time since I have used it in this way.

Oh yes, do not forget the 5 Ps. Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

and maybe utilise this opportunity to review whether or not your folder and share structure is the best option
                        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I hear you on the 5 P's stuff, but the company I work for just had it's 4 year anniversery. We have grown to 35 employees strong. In just over 4 years we are roughly 1.8TB of data.

We looked the other day at one of our biggest projects, it is 445GB of that 950 that needs to move. We have discussed making a seperate share just for that project but I that will be about as much fun as hitting a bees nest with a baseball bat.

I was testing with robocopy before when I had to move a large chunk of data. I was able to retain permissions and time stamps and everything was good except when I went to sync the changes it seemed like it was just going to copy 100% of the data instead if just the changed items. I couldn't figure out what it wouldn't do incremential sync-ing.

Which reminds me in NTBackup or maybe Backup exec isn't there a backup method for "copy the files"? I gotta refreash my memory on that one.

Comment

You have just made it real easy for yourself. MOVE the 445GB into a new SHARE on the OLD Server and map a drive to it. Remember MOVING the files to a SHARE on the same partition maintains the original permissions and a MOVE is fast and doesn't use extra capacity since it is only a file pointer change. All the drawings for this project go to that SHARE/mapped drive.

The remaining files, now about half your original amount to move can be easily transfered to the new Server and an appropriate SHARE and mapped drive.

Next weekend, or whenever, the 445GB project files can be moved across to the NEW Server into eith the same SHARE as the initiallly moved files or into their own SHARE.

Job is split into two smaller moves instead of one big sucker. How's that for a bit of lateral thinking.
                            Last edited by biggles77; 19th November 2010, 18:37.
                            1 1 was a racehorse.
                            2 2 was 1 2.
                            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

It is all fun and games to split the project except the users can only have 1 "W:\" drive at a time.

Any shortcuts and mappings in macro's scripts excel sheets etc...get all mess up if I don't retain the "W:\"

It would make my life a lot easier, but I may get a lot of ticked of engineers on my hands. Well 4 or 5 at least deal with that project everyday all day.

Comment

Working...
                              X