Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forward domain mail out from server ?

Hi, Folks.

I have SBS2008 server, using POP3 connector to pick up mail from the ISP, where each user has an individual mailbox.

Let's call this domain contoso.com.

However, I have one user ([email protected]) who spends a lot of time away from the site, and uses the ISP mailbox as his primary message location, picking up his mails by POP3/IMAP.

The requirement is for emails sent to this user from the local domain users ([email protected], [email protected], etc) to be forwarded out to his mailbox at the ISP so that he can pick up his mails.

The challenge is how to get the SBS2008 server to forward out mails back to the ISP.

I don't need to have a user on the server named remoteuser, so that mailbox does not necessarily have to exist on the server.

If anyone can help me to achieve this I would be very grateful.

(PS - please don't tell me not to do it or to have the remote user use POP3 or whatever directly to the SBS server, there is a very specific, non-negotiabe reason why it has to be set up as I describe it above ).

Many thanks for any help.

NM
    Neil Mac

Re: Forward domain mail out from server ?

if you don't need an actual user to logon to the domain, then create an external contact.

call it "joe smith"
    give it a primary SMTP address of [email protected]
    ALSO give it a [email protected]

this should sort it.

i would definitely not, under any circumstances, tell you to have the remote user use pop3.
    bonus points if you can tell me why i wouldn't advis that
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

How about just not picking up the mail from the ISP for that user? Let that remote user continously use his own POP3 mailbox and don't bring it in to Exchange in the first place.
      If you or whoever restricts you are adamant that you have to work with POP3 from your ISP, then you have to live with the consequences.
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
        How about just not picking up the mail from the ISP for that user? Let that remote user continously use his own POP3 mailbox and don't bring it in to Exchange in the first place.
        If you or whoever restricts you are adamant that you have to work with POP3 from your ISP, then you have to live with the consequences.
        yep - completely - but what about when an internal user tries to send email to the external mailbox, it's in the same domain based on what the OP said (or at least, my interpretation)
        the exchange server thinks it's authoritative, so won't even send it to the isp..
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
          if you don't need an actual user to logon to the domain, then create an external contact.

call it "joe smith"
          give it a primary SMTP address of [email protected]
          ALSO give it a [email protected]

this should sort it.

i would definitely not, under any circumstances, tell you to have the remote user use pop3.
          bonus points if you can tell me why i wouldn't advis that
          DOS? Buffer overflow exploit? Dictionary harvest? Brute force?
          Regards,
          Leonid

MCSE 2003, MCITP EA, VCP4.

Comment

all of those would be possible :P

so i'll give you points even though it's not exactly the answer i wanted:P

Comment

Thanks!
              But now I'm really intrigued in what you meant
              Regards,
              Leonid

Comment

run a wireshark capture.
                connect to a pop3 server and authenticate.
                review your capture.....

Comment

yea, it's a clear text authentication. Super-security on the run
                  Regards,
                  Leonid

Comment

Working...
                  X