Missed Companyweb Migration from SBS2003 to SBS2008

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missed Companyweb Migration from SBS2003 to SBS2008

Hello, I have a situation where I didn't realize that my client was using the calendar feature in the Companyweb on SBS2003. It appeared that the companyweb wasn't being used. When I performed the migration to SBS2008, I skipped the part about migrating Sharepoint. I have completed migration. The old server has been demoted, but no data has been wiped out. Is there any way for me to get the calendar from the old companyweb back? I tried browsing to the old companyweb, but the webpage will not display.

Re: Missed Companyweb Migration from SBS2003 to SBS2008

If you are able to get hold of the content database used for Company Web, you can look at restoring that to another web application on the new server and look into getting it back that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
      If you are able to get hold of the content database used for Company Web, you can look at restoring that to another web application on the new server and look into getting it back that way.
      I was able to go into the source server and backup the content database. After that, I detached the database and copied the sts_<servername>_1.mdf and sts_<servername>_1_log.ldf files to a drive on the destination server. I'm a novice with databases, so I'm not sure what to do at this point. I'm assuming that I have to attach the old database on the destination server. I have a white paper for the migration that describes what to do. The only problem is that I was unable to perform the first steps which included allowing the SBS 2008 system access to the old Companyweb.

Comment

i think you'd need to use the sharepoint spsadmin and stsadm commands to re-load the database....

you can't just reconnect it I don't think
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Are you using Microsoft's transition document or are you using a kit from sbsmigration.com? If you're using a kit from sbsmigration.com, the Sharepoint instructions are in document 3. A cursory glance at it looks like you can transfer the content database to the new server but you'll need to read that part of document 3 in it's entirety to get all the details.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
            Are you using Microsoft's transition document or are you using a kit from sbsmigration.com? If you're using a kit from sbsmigration.com, the Sharepoint instructions are in document 3. A cursory glance at it looks like you can transfer the content database to the new server but you'll need to read that part of document 3 in it's entirety to get all the details.
            I was using Microsoft's SBS2003 to SBS2008 migration document. I'm going to check out the sbsmigration.com info. Thanks for the lead.

Comment

Glad to help. I've used the sbsmigration.com kit and I have to say I think it's awesome. It walks you through a migration step by step. It's relatively inexpensive and you can use it over and over.

Comment

Working...
              X