External email stopped cant telnet to server on 25, 110 PLEASE HELP fast

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External email stopped cant telnet to server on 25, 110 PLEASE HELP fast

Hey Guys I have this issue that I have been working on the past few days.
    Ok here it goes i took over a consulting account for a church that is running a
    SBS 2003 server (they have about 15 PCs in their domain). They stopped reciving emails last week (I have checked dns and MX records) all look good. The emails stopped about mid day (external emails) the clients can still email each other as long as they are internal emails (username @ servername.local).
    I can telnet the server as long as I am at the server, can telnet mail.domainname.org 25, telnet ipaddress 25, telnet PCname 25. But I can't telnet form any PC in the domain or any external PC. The server doesn't have any Antivirus software (I uninstalled it) nor is windows firewall running. I have removed the watchguard firewall and still can't telnet the server from any PC local or external but I can telnet the server as long as I telnet from the server.
    I really need to get the email issue fixed due to me just taking over the client (I am hoping that the other company didn't screw up something before I took over the account, just to make me look bad).

Re: External email stopped cant telnet to server on 25, 110 PLEASE HELP fast

Reboot the server and see if that corrects the problem. If you can't telnet to port 25 on the server from another computer in the local network then the problem is most likely internal. Make sure that all of the Exchange related services are started and that the SMTP virtual server is operational. Look in the SMTP logs for other clues.

Comment

I have rebooted several times today. I just installed the latest service pack remotely for server 2003 now the PC has hung up. I will have to drive out to the clients and see what is causing the hangup (my luck prob BSOD). The server is over 5 years old, time for a new one, but due to their funds that's not an option. Any ideas other than a rebuild.

Comment

Get a port scanner onto the problem, see if it sees the port as open?

Also, you can not telnet, can you ping and nslookup?
        Restart the server in a MSconfig diagnostic mode (MS services and programs only) as this will stop any firewall software from opening (other then the MS firewall). Just incase there is one hiding on the server.

I do not believe you need to rebuild, you just have something stopping port 25, not that hard to track down and resolve.

http://mxtoolbox.com/ is a awesome site for helping with email problems.

Post back and let us know how its all going.

Wofen
        Good to be back....

Comment

All of the lookups come back to the right DNS info.
          I can ping the server by name and IP address.
          Funny you posted mxtoolbox I ran that earlier today and it states port 25 is blocked.
          But why can you telnet ports 25 and 110 from the server but not any local domain PCs or external PCs.
          I will have to drive to the clients in the morning due to the server hanging after SP2 install. (ran by remote desktop)
          I hope that a rebuild is not needed they dont have any software disks.
          I will post what i find in the morning. Thanks goes out to all that is helping me with this problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Smallwood View Post
            Funny you posted mxtoolbox I ran that earlier today and it states port 25 is blocked.
            But why can you telnet ports 25 and 110 from the server but not any local domain PCs or external PCs.

Easy, firewalls work on Direction based Rules.

You have inbound Rules, for people coming into the server and you have Outbound Rules for leaving the network. You have port 25 blocked on the inbound, but open on the outbound. (This is a over simplication of some more advance firewall where you can set rules based on almost anything)

It sounds like you have a firewall blocking all inbound communcations on port 25 to your server.

Finding that exact firewall can be little tricky, but just look for any service/exe running that you do not know and google it.

The MS diagnostic boot should also stop it from loading (along with 50% of everything else) to see if that changes anything.

Wofen
            Good to be back....

Comment

it's a firewall problem.
              if you can telnet to 25 and 110 on the server from itself, and it;'s working, then the services are running

if you can't from another computer, then the firewall is blocking it.
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

tehcamel and Wofen: good points. I didn't think of that. If the OP can telnet to port 25 on the server from the server itself then the SMTP server is probably OK and it is a firewall of some sort on the server itself that's causing the problem.

Comment

i gotta be right sometimes :P
                  Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

After trouble shooting the email issues I found it to be the firewall that was blocking ports 25, and 110. I dont know why all of a sudden it stopped working unless someone had blocked those (it was working one morning then stopped that afternoon). As for the server crash I have found several disk errors in the event log and they are getting more and more per day. I will be advising client to replace ASAP and hope they have the funds to do so.
                    does anyone know of an easy way to reset watchguard x500 passphrase (password). I dont have any info on the watchguard to change settings.
                    Thanks to all that helped

Comment

In order to change the Watchguard password, you have to save a new image to it. Start WSM (Watchguard System Manager) and connect to the firewall, then open the Policy Manager, then select the option "File...Save...To Firebox", then select the option "Save Configuration File and New Flash Image", this will prompt you for a new password for the Firebox.

Comment

ahh.. but can you do that if you don't know the current password ?

Comment

Not as far as I know.

Comment

I resat the password by holding the up arrow while powering on the unit.
                            when it states sysboot let go of the up arrow. cross over cable set your ip to 192.168.253.50 then ping 192.168.253.1 if that is good open the WSM and enter that ip 192.168.253.1 follow the wizard to finish install.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Smallwood View Post
                              I resat the password by holding the up arrow while powering on the unit.
                              when it states sysboot let go of the up arrow. cross over cable set your ip to 192.168.253.50 then ping 192.168.253.1 if that is good open the WSM and enter that ip 192.168.253.1 follow the wizard to finish install.
                              Does that set the firewall to the factory defaults? that may not be what the OP wants.

Comment

Working...
                              X