Mailbox size

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mailbox size

I have imported a 3.5 gb pst file into an empty mailbox. The process completed without errors.
    According to the exchange 2007 shell, the mailbox size is now 2052mb.
    Can this be correct?

Re: Mailbox size

YES
    (I need padding as the forum won't accept a 3-letter answer!)
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

For a bit more detail than my previous post, compare the number of Items in a few folders. Also compare sizes of all folders by temporarily attaching the .pst to the profile and at the root of each mailbox (Exchange and .PST) rt-click on properties and then Folder-Size.
      It was explained to me thus by an Outlook MVP. You have a one way expandable shoebox(.PST). You put letters and photos in the box and each time you get more letters or photos the box expands. When you decide to throw out some items, the shoe box does't shrink so you get some empty holes which don't always get filled up by new items - they just further expand the shoe-box.
      Only if you actively go in to the properties and tell it to compact the shoe box does it shrink to remove (most of) the empty holes.
      3.5 GB was not built in a few days, so no doubt there were plenty of items added and removed along the way leaving not a few empty holes!!
      Last edited by teiger; 25th October 2010, 01:11. Reason: Typo
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
        YES
        (I need padding as the forum won't accept a 3-letter answer!)

And to add the padding that SHOULD of been added (Yes, talking to you Teiger)...

A pst file can be much larger then the mailbox for many reasons, such as, Empty space stored in the PST file (like a un-defraged database file). This is normal, and I do believe you can get PST compression tools to reshink the PST file, but these normally kill semi-large PST files.

I do believe that exchange does the compression automaticly when you import into it. (dont quote me, cant be stuffed getting ref's).

Wofen

PS: We typed this at the same time....
        Last edited by Wofen; 25th October 2010, 01:16. Reason: Added at the same time Teiger was typing his...
        Good to be back....

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
          X